Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Modena - Food, Wine and Bed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/modena-food-wine-and-bed-937837/)

Good_Will Jun 5th, 2012 12:54 AM

Modena - Food, Wine and Bed

We would be interested to receive recommendations for a hotel and restaurant in the 3-4 star category for an overnight stay. Local food and a large comfortable bed are our priorities.

Thank you for any advice on Modena.

tarquin Jun 5th, 2012 02:15 AM

We had a very enjoyable stay in Modena some years ago and I think we stayed at Hotel Cervetta 5 in the centro storico.

Modena is a great hub for daytrips.

LowCountryIslander Jun 5th, 2012 05:04 AM

I can't help with a hotel recommendation because I was in Modena as a day trip from Bologna.

But, I can recommend Osteria Guisti for a delicious meal. I believe they are only open for lunch and a reservation is essential. It is a very small dining room behind a shop selling the most wonderful proscuitto, and prepared foods, but don't let that dissuade you, the food is absolutely fantastic.

MarthaT Jun 5th, 2012 07:50 AM

when are you going? The whole area is still very much damaged by the recent earthquakes. I don't know about the center of Modena but from what I have read it is really bad around that area.

Good_Will Jun 5th, 2012 02:30 PM

We will be there late in September and will visit the famous car museums, car factory tour and balsamic vinegar producer. Currently I am thinking that the small three star Hotel La Pace is best situated for our visit. Any recommendation gratefully accepted. Thank you for the recommendation for the Osteria. I have seen very favourable comments about it before. What should we eat there ?

kawh Jun 5th, 2012 03:36 PM

in case you haven't yet scheduled the balsamic visit...

we visited a very small balsamic producer in modena Acetaia de Giorgio. it was just a fantastic little 'tour.'

we got there and thought we were in the wrong place! it was just a large old house-- and it was in the middle of a sort of industrial area. (got the feeling that they just started building these buildings all around them, in what was long ago the countryside.

they welcomed the 2 of us into their dining room (looking much like my dining room, with mail and papers all over the table. the whole house smelled of divine balsamic.

then they took us to the attic, where the balsamic is lovingly made. each wooden cask covered with hand-crocheted doilies. they explained the process and it was so interesting. let us sniff various stages of the balsamic. it was just wonderful!!

after, they took us to a tiny office where we tasted each of the varieties they make. we hadn't intended to buy any-- and felt no pressure to do so-- but it was sooooo good and the price was pretty good, as they give you a discount . (the real thing-- di modena-- is expensive) gorgeous packaging.

would highly recommend. i think you just have to email them and ask if they can show you around on the day you are available.

as for food-- i was going to recommend the amazing il gaidello which is about 30 minuts out of town-- but did a quick search and don't know if they are serving meals anymore. they don't mention it on their web site... but you could write and ask. one of the best meals we've ever eaten...with plates literally stacked in front of you, as you eat your way down!
have a great trip.

LowCountryIslander Jun 5th, 2012 05:36 PM

I honestly can't recall off the top of my head the exact menu items we ordered at Osteria Guisti (we were there in 2010), but I do recall each item we had was absolutely delicious. We were able to order half portions of both the starter course and main course, that way we got to have a variety of things, all were delicious.

Good_Will Jun 6th, 2012 05:00 AM

We have decided now to drive to Modena from Liguria and drop the rental car there or to Milan, rather than taking a train.

So the location of hotel is possibly not as important.

We will visit Osteria Guisti which is reported well at http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/527686.

Let me know if you know the best place to stay in Modena ? Thank you

Good_Will Jul 9th, 2012 05:08 AM

We have yet to select a hotel.

I am not sure whether it is worth staying close to the Centro or not ?

We will visit the Maserati and Ferrari Museums so was thinking that the close by family hotel La Pace maybe the best location.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

eluckhardt Jul 9th, 2012 06:52 AM

www.podereprasiano.com

outside of modena, but supposedly great food! we have *almost* been there 2x, but still have not been in person.

Good_Will Jul 11th, 2012 02:16 PM

Thank you eluckhardt. Looks like a very very good choice. I am very attracted to Agriturismos. We had a great time at La Traverse Agriturismo when we visited Pienza in 2009.

We have little time left in our itinerary and are focused on the town of Modena this time. We would ideally like to find a great hotel in the 3-4 star category in the Centro Storico.

Keren Jul 12th, 2012 03:03 AM

I haven't stayed there but last time when I was in Modena I thought Hotel Libertà was perfectly located in the old town, just off the beautiful Piazza Mazzini.
http://www.hotelliberta.it/en/home-page.aspx

While in Modena, do not miss the covered market off Piazza Grande, it's wonderful and full of local atmosphere. And it might be a bit too early in the season, but if you love dry, not too sweet cakes, one stand there sells a chestnut cake by the name of Castagnaccio - looks a bit like a round chocolate cake - apparently a Tuscan speciality. The one I had was absolutely superb, rich flavoured, and it kept well in my bug for about 2 days.

kawh Oct 19th, 2012 04:52 PM

too late for the o.p. but for others researching modena, there was a good piece on modena in the nyt this week... and they happen to mention the balsamic place we loved so much (in my post above.)
http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/10/21...?src=dayp&_r=0