Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mljet, Dubrovnik, Hvar, Korcula, Split and Zagreb (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mljet-dubrovnik-hvar-korcula-split-and-zagreb-1004957/)

Brooke_Herron Feb 4th, 2014 07:27 PM

Mljet, Dubrovnik, Hvar, Korcula, Split and Zagreb

Hi savvy travelers. In an effort to keep my Croatia inquiries separate, I'm starting this thread looking for good hotel and hiking ideas for an upcoming trip that includes Dubrovnik, Mljet, Hvar, Korcula, Split and Zagreb

More looking for hotel reccos only for Mljet and Korcula as I'll be renting apartments elsewhere and then would love suggestions for great hikes or outdoorsy activities that are good day trips from, or on Split/Hvar
I've already got Plitvice on the itinerary between Split and Dubrovnik

Thank you In advance!

Brooke

Andrew Feb 4th, 2014 09:31 PM

<i>I've already got Plitvice on the itinerary between Split and Dubrovnik</i>

I assume you mean between Split and Zagreb?

In 2009, I stayed at the Apartments Lenni in Korcula. The owners rent several different rooms and apartments (not all the same, prices vared) and I was very satisfied with my apartment: tastefully decorated, conveniently in the center of town, etc. (I didn't have a car, but if you do, you may have to park it a bit away from the apartment.)

Brooke_Herron Feb 6th, 2014 10:51 AM

Lenni yes that's right I will be going to Plitvice from Split before heading to Zagreb

Question:
Did you like Korcula better than Hvar? What were the highlights?it's been mentioned to me that I might want to mix up our trip and only do one or the other vs both..

Brooke_Herron Feb 6th, 2014 11:04 AM

Also did you drive to Plitvice? I'm told renting a car for a full week is the only way to go as the daily rates are so high but not sure whether I want to drive in Split, then to Plitvice and around Zagreb or het the car in Hvar.. I'm not sure how expensive ortroublesome taking a car by ferry is and I don't see it in my book

yorkshire Feb 6th, 2014 11:18 AM

Korcula and Hvar are quite similar, to me. Both have a scenic old town. Both have lovely landscapes. It really just depends on how much time you want to spend in one place.

I have always found hotels in Croatia to be lackluster (unless you go luxury)--I'd stick to apartment rentals. I cannot remember if you are traveling in summer, when some places add a surcharge for less then 3-night stays.

Not really hiking per se, but while in Dubrovnik we walked on Lokrum island, which has an interesting botanical garden and lots of rocky outcrops for sunbathing. On Hvar, the walk along the coast to Milna is nice. You can either catch a bus back or maybe someone will offer you a ride back to Hvar as what happened for us.

Brooke_Herron Feb 6th, 2014 07:55 PM

Yorkshire I'm definitely doing the air bnb apt rental thing most places. We are traveling in last wk of May and 1st week of June so not too terribly peak priced yet but getting closer. Get the good weather before the worst crowds! I'm pretty proud of myself about getting the gals on board for this actually....:)