Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mink in Amsterdam? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mink-in-amsterdam-665691/)

Jaberwoq Dec 22nd, 2006 06:04 AM

Mink in Amsterdam?

Have just read all sorts of recommendations about what type of coat to take to Europe in the winter. I will be in Amsterdam in early Jan. and am debating whether or not to wear my Ebay mink coat. Would I have tomatoes thrown at me?Is wearing fur kosher in Amsterdam?

ira Dec 22nd, 2006 06:09 AM

I have consulted my Rabbi.

He says that there is nothing in the rules of Kashruth regarding the wearing of Ebay mink.

Do note, however, that it is not kosher to eat mink of any kind.

((I))

Cimbrone Dec 22nd, 2006 06:15 AM

Wearing fur is not kosher anywhere. Nothing should have to have electrodes shoved up its anus so you can be warm.

nona1 Dec 22nd, 2006 06:20 AM

I wouldn't say that fur is commonly worn. Whether that means you'll get tomatoes thrown at you or not depends on who you meet.

BTilke Dec 22nd, 2006 06:22 AM

A'dam is not a huge fur wearing city Very different from Brussels or Vienna where you're much more likely to see women in fur coats (I think Vienna is the most fur-wearing city in Europe, so if you want to wear your mink with aplomb, perhaps go there).

NeoPatrick Dec 22nd, 2006 06:23 AM

Ebay mink? Is that a new species?

richardsonsnm Dec 22nd, 2006 06:51 AM

Jaberwoq: very sensitive first post.

marginal_margiela Dec 22nd, 2006 06:59 AM

Why shouldn't you wear your fur? I personally LOVE fur coats (I also love foie gras). I am so sick of the politically correct, sweetie darling.

There are far worse things in life than wearing a fur coat. Let's start worrying about real atrocities--like the war in Iraq.

fall06 Dec 22nd, 2006 07:04 AM

I wouldn't wear a fur coat in Amsterdam because I don't think it's very practical. It's very rainy in Amsterdam. I mean REALLY rainy. You might walk around looking like a wet mink who fell into a bay.

Cimbrone Dec 22nd, 2006 07:04 AM

How 'bout there's time for concern over all injustice, not just one, my little sugared apricot?

BTW, marginal, is your S.O. appearing in a broadway remake of a certain 70's horror movie?

vjpblovesitaly Dec 22nd, 2006 07:08 AM

and I am tired of every person's beliefs being dismissed as "political correctness."

aucho53 Dec 22nd, 2006 07:15 AM

cimbrone & vjpb are absolutely right!
take a look at the videos on the PETA website and tell me if you still think wearing fur is OK.

Layla

marginal_margiela Dec 22nd, 2006 07:27 AM

Cimbrone, are you now writing "blind items" for Michael Musto's column in the Village Voice?

My Keith is a middle school principal.

Cimbrone Dec 22nd, 2006 07:58 AM

I'm sure he's much more attractive in a tie than faux pig's blood.

That'll teach you to use real names in cyberspace :)

flanneruk Dec 22nd, 2006 08:15 AM

You're very unlikely to have tomatoes thrown at you. You'll very probably be made to feel very uncomfortable indeed, unless you're very insensitive. You'll look ridiculously overdressed. And you'll wish you had a proper raincoar.

This has nothing to do with "Europe". Wearing fur is socially unacceptable in some parts of Europe and accepted in others. Amsterdam is in the first group.

PrincessOfPenguins Dec 22nd, 2006 09:25 AM

You would stick out as a "see how rich and uncaring I am" sore thumb. While you may not get red paint thrown on you like in other places, you'll either get the cold shoulder... or mugged...

Madison Dec 22nd, 2006 09:50 AM

No one in their right mind wears fur these days. Years ago people were oblivious to the tortures bestowed on all the helpless animals. Talk about being labeled "The Ugly American"

By the way cruelty towards humans usually starts with cruelty towards animals. It just isn't necessary to wear fur period!

unaS Dec 22nd, 2006 10:18 AM

The wearing of fur, especially after the videos of animals being boiled alive, should be enough to make anyone sick.

Refusing to wear fur cannot be dismissed as being 'pc'. It is a matter of basic humanity.

And as has been already mentioned above, when we reduce our sensitivity to other living creatures, it is also reduced for out fellow men.

FainaAgain Dec 22nd, 2006 10:23 AM

Is this the same mink coat I sold on Ebay? I hope you are not there at the same time I am, or I will try to get it back.

FainaAgain Dec 22nd, 2006 10:25 AM

And this is why it may be not kosher to wear fur:

"Humane relations with animals are primarily governed by the prohibition on tza'ar baalei chaim, literally animal suffering."

http://www.aish.com/societyWork/work...earing_Fur.asp