Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Minimum acceptable number of days in Crete

Nov 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to do a Greek Island trip next summer and I am wondering if after 4 days in Mykonos, and 3 days in Santorini (not counting "travel" days), could we "get by" with 4 days in Crete on the following basis (we will really not want to see the whole island intensively), and wanting to have no car:

day 1 7:10pm- arrive in Heraklion by fast ferry, stay over-night
day 2 - tour Heraklion - Knossos, and, if open, arch. museum, leave for Chania that evening by bus
day 3 - relax at beach at hotel (Ammos) and go to Cania late afternoon
day 4 - Gorge for the day
day 5 - beach/Chania
day 6 - leave for Athens from Chania by 6:55am plane

We could add 1 more day if recommended, but with no further sight-seeing aspirations, should we really consider this, or just continue with our Italy stage of the trip, one day earlier?

Thanks for any advice, as always.
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM

We spent five days in Chania without visiting the gorge (!) and could have stayed longer. But the answer to your question really depends on your personal vacation style, and where you're headed to in Italy!
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM

My question is, why 4 days in Mykonos? Are you into late-late-night club scene or heavy-duty jewelry shopping?

If not, why NOT add a day to Crete, even without a car... there are terrific day treks led in small groups from Chania, I understand -- they drive you to the "trek area" and back. There's plenty more stunning scenery in West Crete than Mykonos -- which IMHO is basically a dry, dry unhistoric island that was popularized by artists when it was cheap, and which now is maintained in popularity by the cruise lines. Of course if wee-hour party scene is your priority please disregard all this, and have a great time!
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Traveljan - sorry, when I was typing, I was also proving to myself that I could not properly count to 3, being the actual number of clear days that we will be in Mykonos (as opposed to 4), and which days will be spent as follows:

day 1 - arrive from Toronto in mid afternoon and recuperate by hotel pool/beach
day 2 - continue as in day 1
day 3 - visit Mykonos town/another beach
day 4 - finish intensive relaxation as per days 2 and 3 above.

Mykonos will be the first stop on our trip, and the reason that we selected it is that both my wife and I will be badly in need of a holiday (NOT UNLIKE 99% OF AL FODERITES) and we feel that Mykonos (where we were 2 years ago and absolutely adored our stay at the Mykonos Grand) would be the ideal place to make the transition from "work-place anxiety" to "relaxation mode."

Having said that, however, maybe we should reconsider taking back 1 day from the Italian Riviera/Cinque Terre portion of the trip (presently 7 days to be split between Rapallo and Lerici).

And so the planning continues........
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I like Mykonos but I think four days there is excessive and you can easily you can do all that jewelry shopping on Santorini because there are PLENTY of places there to do so.

I'm not as big on Crete as some and I agree the number of days that YOU end up thinking are acceptable will depend on your own interests and travel style.
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM

BTW..it might help us if you said what your plans are for both Santorini and Mykonos. If we knew that it would make the judgement a bit easier as to whether or not you are spending too little/too much time.
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM

The answer to the question in your heading is ...."the rest of my life". Unfortunately, that's not achievable

4 days is fine. More is better. There's masses to do, and it's a great place to do nothing.
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Dukey - my plans for Mykonos are indicated above (they may not have shown up on this site when you responded).

Re: Santorini:

Day 1 leave Mykonos at approx. 2:00pm and get to Santorini at approx. 4:30 pm ; spend balance of day at hotel (Anastasis)
Day 2 - hotel pool/visit Inverigli (sp?)(apparently it is nearby)
Day 3 - Fira &/or beach &/or Oia, depending on inclination
Day 4 - as in Day 3, but we will be leaving for Crete by fast ferry late in the afternoon.
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Sheila- thanks for your response, and for providing a bit of proper reassurance.

Sometimes one tries to fit too much into vacation plans, forgetting that "what is right for you IS what is right".