Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Miniature Boats in the fountains at the Jardins in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/miniature-boats-in-the-fountains-at-the-jardins-in-paris-436222/)

BKP Sep 18th, 2008 03:08 PM

Miniature Boats in the fountains at the Jardins in Paris

Has anyone rented one? My fodors guide book said they are available to rent but didn't provide any more information. They only mentioned Luxembourg. Are you allowed to play with boats in the other Jardins -- like the Tuilleries?

To be honest, I would rather buy my own boat because I can't imagine my son will be very pleased about giving it up at the end of the day! Any suggestions for toy shops in the touristy areas that would have something like this?

Thanks!

Underhill Sep 18th, 2008 03:59 PM

Nain Bleu is an excellent toy shop; it's near the Madeleine.

nukesafe Sep 18th, 2008 04:00 PM

Sorry, I really can't help with rental information, but they look like so much fun I have been tempted to steal one from a kid so I can play with it.

Some of them are really fancy rigs that are radio controlled, mostly sailed by the fathers -- as usual. Us kids (at heart) don't stand a chance.

:-)

Images2 Sep 18th, 2008 05:29 PM

My 11 year old grandson did this on Spring Break this year and loved it! He had about an hour to sail the sailboat before they collected them for the day. This was on a Sunday in Luxembourg Gardens. Yes, they have them at the Tuilleries also, but on weekends, or holidays when the kids are out of school. No boats during the week on our trip, so he was unable to repeat his great experience.

CarolJean Sep 18th, 2008 06:37 PM

I think you should rent one first. I think after an hour the kids are pretty bored. If he isn't, then you could rent again or buy one. My opinion is that it is more fun for the adults watching than the children operating the boats. Just my opinion. Enjoy! CJ

freberta Sep 18th, 2008 07:41 PM

We rented boats for my two kids a few years ago in Luxembourg Gardens, and yes, they loved doing it, but an hour was enough. And yes, I did buy my son a boat at Nain Bleu (but no pole)and it sits on his bookshelf, collecting dust. Paris was the first stop on a 2-week trip through France and Switzerland and we had to carry the fragile parcel everywhere. Thank goodness we rented a mini-van, but I was afraid it would break.

swagman Sep 18th, 2008 09:29 PM

BKP

Yes I saw them in Luxembourg and Tuileries just a few days ago. 3E/hour I think they charge.

Go to Luxembourg, there is also pony/donkey rides, muppet show at 11am or 4pm, and a playground (1.60E/child).

s

BKP Sep 18th, 2008 10:57 PM

This is so great. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I think you're right that renting first is probably best. Nukesafe -- you're right that his dad is probably going to have more fun than he will -- maybe we'll rent two!

Thanks for all the help!

freberta Sep 19th, 2008 02:32 AM

My husband and I had a blast watching the kids, and we also had a great time taking a million photos of them pushing their boats around. Those photos are priceless. It was good, old-fashioned fun for my kids, whose toys only include electronic devices like PSP's, Nintendo DS's, etc.

PalenQ Sep 19th, 2008 06:04 AM

when my son was about 8 we rented him a boat in the Tuileries - and i had as much fun as he did - watching him navigate the boats around the pond.

We also rented row boats in the Vincennes Park on the lake by the Zoo and that was fun too.

TPaxe Sep 19th, 2008 09:24 AM

I think Wednesdays they have the boats and sticks out for rental. So refreshing to see simple toys bringing so much joy! Love seeing the kids and the parents hanging out on a sunny Sunday.

BKP Sep 20th, 2008 03:23 PM

Just wanted to report back. My son spent 1 1/2 hours pushing a boat around the pool at the Jardin des Tuilleries. It was 2 euros for 30 minutes. Honestly, aside from macarons, that was probably the best money we have ever spent in Paris. He loved every minute of it.

We didn't end up buying him his own (our bathtub isn't really big enough to push a boat in . . .) because he spent so much time playing we didn't have much time left for shopping.

Thanks for all the replies and advice!