Search

Mini-van and Costa del Sol/Andalucia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini-van and Costa del Sol/Andalucia?

Hi,

I am traveling in a group of six adults in late May to Spain. We are planning to fly into Malaga, and base in Marbella for 10 days of sightseeing and relaxation. While we have not finalized our itinerary, our goals are to do the following day-trips on our own:

1. Grandada
2. Jerez
3. Ronda
4. Nerja
5. Gibraltar

There is no way our luggage will fit into 1 car or van -even if we each only have 1 roll-aboard bag. Accordingly, we will make arrangements to get the luggage to the hotel somehow. My concern is with the rental options for the week that we will be touring while our luggage is at the hotel.

With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1) Are we better off with 2 smaller cars or 1 mini-van that seats 7 adults? We prefer the idea of hanging out together in 1 vehicle versus the 2 cars. (If we get the mini-van, we will just arrange for part of the group to travel with the luggage to the hotel via another transportation option.) I am concerned about finding parking for the mini-van and driving on narrow mountain roads in the mini-van.

2) As we are doing daytrips, do you recommend that we instead hire a car and driver for the day trips? (We do not want to go on an organized bus tour as we like to go at our own pace.) That way, no one has to drive, we can travel in 1 larger vehicle, and parking is not our problem. Divided by six people, this option should not be overly expensive.

3) If you recommend the car and driver option, do you know of a reputable company/individual?

I welcome your suggestions!

As always, thanks in advance,
Chels
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

One last top in the hopes of getting a response...

Thanks,
Chels
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:40 AM

Cost-wise, it will likely be much cheaper to hire two cars than one mini-van, especially if you don't need an automatic.

Your concern about negotiating a van through the narrow streets is justified, and you will likely need to park a bit out of the way when visiting the White Towns. You and your party will be doing quite a bit of walking regardless.

Finally, I would be more concerned about luggage left in a car than luggage at the hotel.

I cannot give you any advice on a getting a driver+car, as I've not done this.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply - it has been helpful!

The luggage would never be in the car or van except for trips to and from the airport. Our main objective is just to transport our group during the day. We are willing to pay the extra cost for the van if the van is not too much of a problem. If we can navigate the roads and parking with the van, we may be ok.

Thank you again!
Chels
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM

This is just my humble opinion, but I think you'd regret trying to drive a mini-van in and around Andalucian towns. The streets are narrow, parking is difficult at best, and gas very expensive.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM

I had the same dilemma when I went to Italy last time, 8 people. We opted with two cars and it was a great decision, especially with narrow roads...plus everyone started to get on each others nerves a bit after 10 days together 24/7 (we were in a villa) so it was nice to be able to go separate places if some people didn't want to do the same thing as the others.

Just make sure you appoint drivers ahead of time, not at the last minute at the rental window like us. This was a major source of contention throughout our trip. The people who weren't drivers would sleep and relax while the others were stressed out having to drive on long day trips, etc. You get the picture...
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM

I too would have to advise you against a mini-van, especially when I think back of the time DH got our tiny little compact car stuck in Cascares and had to have one of the local kids back it out!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM

Roads in the White Villages are not dirt tracks. They are well paved and wide enough for the 60-passenger buses to drive easily. Perhaps the road Grazalema to Zahara you may find narrow, but traffic is scarce.
Obviously, town streets are not devised for cars. I usually park as soon as I arrive into town as there is generally a parking space, and towns are not so big as not to walk. Besides, driving in and out of any town center is easy and well oriented. Arcos may be an issue, as the town is on top of a hill. In the square at the very center there is a pk, usually full.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM

We were 2 couples touring Andalucia and the Costa del Sol. Because of luggage we rented a mini van. It was great fun. We did not have any problem parking. Roads were not a problem except one experience in Arcos de la fontera. The hill town had very tight turns which took serveral tries At one point people came out of shops to watch us and offer advice. We have since rented a mini van in Ireland which was also great. I agree that it is fun traveling together.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Decisions, decisions! I am leaning towards the mini-van as we are looking forward to hanging out together as we do not see one another that often. (We will have time off from each other on our resort days!) Hopefully, if we do this, we can park outside of the center of town, and walk in without much trouble.

Thank you all so much for the advice; I will let you know our resolution!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM

In many towns we had no problem parking right in town. We had luggage with us so we were very conscious of parking safely. Also, in Grenada we easily came upon an indoor parking garage so that was simple. I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for responding; I truly appreciate it!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM

We have made a similar tour with 6 adults. I strongly advise to rent one car for the whole trip. You have two options:

Either you rent a seven-seater minivan which means you have a car that drives like a passenger-car but which can be somewhat smallish with baggage.

Or you rent a nine-seater minibus which offers ample space but which is much larger and truck-like.

We usually reserve a seven-seater. But sometimes the rental car company gives us a somewhat larger five- or six-seater only which is too small. When we reject they usually give us a nine-seater (which seems to be more available than an seven-seater).

This seems to be typical for car rental in Southern Europe. If does not make any difference if they call themself Hertz, Avis, Sixt or whatever.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Traveller1959,

Thanks for the advice; I'm hoping that the 7-seater (which is what I did reserve) will be available when we arrive. I would hate to have to drive the larger vehicle.

Thanks again,
Chels
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Well, after a 2 year delay, we finally made it to the Costa del Sol. We lost 1 couple along the way, and made the trip with 4 people. I thought I would relay our experience for anyone researching this topic in the future.

Due to car shortages over the Christmas holiday, we ended up with a compact, hatchback car. We were initially disappointed because we are all extremely tall adults; however, we came to totally welcome the small car by the end of the trip.

The highways and major roads are wide, beautifully maintained, and extremely easy to drive. The small roads within towns such as Ronda, however, are the smallest roads that I have ever driven upon in either Europe or the U.S.; this is compounded by the fact that people parallel park on both sides of these small streets. I have no idea how people drive larger cars on these roads, although it is certainly done. I believe our apprehension was heightened due to the fact that we were driving a rental, even though it was fully insured.

More importantly, many of the parking decks are underground garages with sharp curves and NARROW passages. Looking on the walls of all of these garages, you can see where many, many, many cars have swiped walls, poles, pillars, etc.

With that, I join in the recommendation that one avoid a mini-van on the Costa del Sol, and utilize 2 cars if necessary!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Very well said, Chels. I agree.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM

Make sure you reserve full-size 7-seater MVP (which is European name for mini van). It has a reservation (SIPP) code of FVMR (manual) or FVAR (automatic). Models include Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra (most common in Spain), Citroen C8 and Peugeot 807. There are also intermediate-size (IVMR or IVAR) MPVs which also have 7 seats, but with two small rearmost seats only really suitable for children and hardly any luggage space when all seats are used. Models include Opel Zafira, Ford S-Max, Toyota Verso, Renault Grand Scenic, Mazda 5 and VW Touran. Even 5-seater MVP (like Renault Scenic) also has the same code.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:24 AM

Just noticed the original thread was from 2007.
Never mind, my info may be of use to other renters of mini vans!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM

chels - we are planning on going to Spain in march and need to find accommodations and rental car. Did you stay at hotels or small B&B type places? I have thought about VRBO but have never done that. Are they folks out there that have stayed at the VRBO places in southern Spain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -