Mini Trip Report: Germany May/June 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this site and have never posted a trip report, so I'll just post a mini one so that I don't get carried away with too many details. haha
This trip was taken by my husband (who is a German citizen) and me and my parents.

May 22 & 23: Arrival in München. Saw Marienplatz, Englischer Garten and Chinese tower, ate at the Donisl, saw the Siegestor, climbed to the top of the St. Peters Church, saw the Frauenkirche, the Olympic village, Palace Nymphenburg, many fountains, and some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

May 24 & 25: Picked up rental car and drove to Lindau im Bodensee (by driving through Austria and Liechtenstein to see Vaduz). Lindau is a beautiful town...very picturesque and it was great to eat dinner facing the port to see the majestic lion and lighthouse. Took the ferry to Insel Mainau and enjoyed the gorgeous botanical gardens including the palace on the grounds.

May 26: Drove to Strasbourg, France and looked around the town for a few hours...saw the Notre Dam and walked along the river. Strasbourg is beautiful and I definately want to go back and spend more time there. Drove on to Lahr im Schwarzwald. This is a beautiful and old town with a lot of history. Each building has so much character, including the ancient tower ruins in the heart of the town.

May 27: Drove to Heidelberg and spent most of the afternoon at the castle. With so much to look at, it took a thunderstorm to drive us away! The rest of the city is gorgeous as well. We walked along the old bridge over the Neckar...a lot of history to this bridge too- it was purposefully destroyed by the Germans in WWII...rebuilt very nicely.

May 28 & 29: Drove Luxembourg City and enjoyed the morning in this very pretty city. So much to see! We drove on to Aachen to a friend's apartment. She showed us all around the town- the Dom, the Europaplatz, and much more. There's a lot of graffiti in this town which is sad. Almost every building I saw was plastered with it.

May 30: Drove to Kassel to see the Hercules fountain display (it's only on Wed., Sat., and I believe Sund. at 2:30pm). What an amazing display! I can still hear the horns blowing in my mind! Too bad they were repairing the Hercules statue...we couldn't see him! Drove on to Würzburg to see the Marienburg and the many churches and beautiful buildings. What a great city!

May 31-June 6: Stayed in my husband's home town of Kulmbach in Oberfranken. Saw castle Plassenburg there and throughout the week visited Bamberg, Coburg (and both castles...the Veste Coburg was the best castle we saw on the whole trip..the museum inside was absolutely amazing!!!!), Bayreuth, Kronach (both have great castles), climbed several small mountains, saw 2 monasteries, a huge and gorgeous Basilika called Vierzehnheiligen (14 saints). The rest of the time was spent with my husband's family and friends.

June 7: Drove to Berchtesgaden and visited the Königssee and the breathtaking Alps with little chapel St. Bartholomä. The water was so blue and clear! In all my travels, that ranks in the top 3 of the most beautiful spots I've been to. Then we drove back to München and flew home on June 8!

All in all, including everything from our plane tickets to the souvenirs we purchased, the whole 19 days cost (per couple) $3500 USD.

Any questions? Thanks for reading!!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Welcome to Fodor's! And thanks for the report. You saw and did a lot, and conveyed tons of details in a short few paragraphs.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
Thank you for writing. If you don't mind, I have a question...do you remember how long it took to drive from Munich to Liechtenstein? Thinking of doing this in Oct.

Paul
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

It wasn't long at all! We stopped along the side of the rode a lot to take pictures (we saw some waterfalls and gorgeous lakes) so it took probably longer than it would someone driving straight through...but I believe it was around 3 hours, give or take a little.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Great short synopsis. I have visited the Plassenburg Schloss in Kulmbach and we thought it was superb ( along with the great beer, Kulmbach IS the epicenter of beer). It contained a traveling exhibit on Frederick the Great and has a permanent antique tin toy museum ( 400,000 pieces ) set in historical dioramas which amazed me.
But please tell me where this Basilika Vierzehnheilige is in the area? And the name of the schloss in Kronbach?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Festung Rosenberg is the name of the castle in Kronach. There are great views of the town from the top.

Also, here is some info and pictures on 14Heiligen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vierzehnheiligen

It's on a mountain outside of Bad Staffelstein. Across the highway on another mountain is the monastery Kloster Banz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banz_Abbey
Hope this helps!