Visit to Glacier from either Cologne or Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a choice of making either Cologne or Prague as my base for Europe trip for 11 days. Apart from other stuff, we want our kids aged 11 and 8 years who have never seen snow to play in snow too. What is the possibility of visiting any of the Alps glacier while staying in Cologne or Prague.
We are on budget travel.

Regards
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 07:45 AM

No.

Koeln is more than 1000 kms from the alps. Prague may be closer to Austria but still I don't see how you could do it, and not on a budget.

Just look at a map or look on viamichelin.com
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Well you couldn't do it as a day trip, but I see no reason (other than budget or time restrictions) for not doing a three day trip if it really means so much. You will need to look into the costs involved - driving or going by train, and somewhere to stay for a couple of nights of course.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 12:48 PM

Since you'll be in Cologne and Prague end of December, why don't you do a day trip to the mid-range mountains from either city to see snow? That is, if there's no snow in the city itself? You never know ...

From Cologne you could easily reach the nearby mid-range mountains on a day trip, granted, they are not exactly very snow reliable, though ...

But from Prague you have the options of at least two nearby mid-mountain ranges, which will have snow with a chance of about 99%: Krkonose (Giant mountains) with places like Spindleruv Mlyn, Pec pod Snezkou e.g. which are both very popular ski resorts, and Krusne Hory (Ore Mountains) with Bozi Dar/Klinovec e.g. which is also a very good ski resort right on the border to Germany (Oberwiesenthal/Mt. Fichtelberg).

For public transportation in the Czech Republic see www.idos.cz
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 08:30 PM

I responded to one of your other threads, then realized you have three going.
Different plans, times, etc. There are several issues.

Some comments.
The posted itinerary on the other thread is way too busy, too complex and very expensive. I commented on it on that thread.

You will be there in early winter and there may not be much snow in Prague, only in the mountains. Two bases might work, but get advice here about seeing snow and activities besides that,

Just wanting snow and ice to play in is not enough. Children can't play in/on ice, except for skating in a rink. Snow is fun for a bit, but if it is more wet and cold, not dry and powdery, the kids will quickly be miserable. They will need sleds, skates (you can rent them at a skating rink) and things to do, not just "play" in snow. Most kids go sledding, ice skating, build snowmen or snow houses and throw snow at each other for a few minutes. They stay out an hour or so, then go inside for hot chocolate, soup, etc. They warm up and maybe go out a second time, maybe not.

People go to winter resorts where they can do all of that, but cuddle up in front of a nice fire inside in the evening, or even where there is a nice, heated indoor pool.

Someone else mentioned it, but must emphasize. You must have very warm winter clothes, including warm socks and waterproof boots, mittens, scarves, sweaters, coats, etc. If you are not warm and dry, you will be miserable.

You will be there over Christmas. Many things will be closed from Christmas Eve through all of Christmas Day. Make sure to plan ahead for food, making reservations at restaurants that are open, and buying food for breakfast and snacks to tide you over. If you stay in only two places, you could rent an apartment and make it easier to have food handy. In hotels, you have to really plan ahead. You do not want two hungry children.

None of this is meant to be critical. I am concerned that your plans are not well thought out, and you will have an unhappy experience.

So, some questions.
Do you have flights booked already?
If so, are they into Cologne and out of Prague?
Do you have two weeks or only 11 days?

I do not know what all visas, etc. are involved, but if your flights are not booked, and it is possible to delay your trip, consider doing so.

If they are firm, and you can state more explicitly what your family enjoys doing (besides playing in snow), others on this board can offer suggestions for an overall great plan for your vacation.

My experience living there was too long ago to be useful and we often just put a sled on the car and drove someplace with snow for a couple of days for a bit of sledding and lots of hot soup and drinks. We went to Southern Germany, Bavaria, but we liked it there, snow or no snow.

You may have to choose places you will enjoy even if there is no snow or find a resort with lots to do. A resort will be expensive, but no more than all the travel you listed.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 06:47 AM

See a glacier, walk on a glacier or play in the snow are 3 different things. What are you looking for? In which month?