Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Minerve Hotel, France, Have you stayed here?

Old May 17th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Jason

Has anyone stayed here? I am booked there but I heard it is 30C now in Paris and I do not know if this hotel has air conditioning? Do you know? <BR>Any suggesttions for another place if it does not?

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 11:16 PM
MC

YIKES!!! Did you stay there? The Minerve was the WORST hotel I've stayed in. Oh, the place has modern furnishings (and yet no shower curtain), but the service was unbelievably bad. We just had two small requests: replace our TV remote (which did not work) and fix the light in the bathroom. Every single day, the fat bald man would give us a lame excuse for why he couldn't do it. He wasn't even sorry; he was very arrogant and seemed to think it was fun to leave his guests stranded. After four or five days, a very nice woman named Mitre helped us with the remote, at least. I could go into more detail about the service, but I'd only get angry again. I am living up to my vow to tell everyone I know about what horrible service the Minerve gives. You will most certainly spoil your Paris vacation if you stay there.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 04:18 AM
elaine

Amazing how different people's experiences can be. Back in February I copied from this forum a strong recommendation for the Minerve, which not only was recommended, but a particular comment was made on how helpful the staff was (lack of shower curtain was also noted). <BR>Perhaps do a Search on the hotel in this forum for other comments, or try looking for more comments at www.paris.org and <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 07:13 AM
don

the Minerve has aparently been bought by Eric Gaucheron who owns the Familia Hotel nearby that gets consistently great reviews, so maybe the bad experience of MC will not happen to you. If you are looking for air-conditioning in a hotel in the same general area you might try out Hotel Residence Monge, which although a two-star, is advertised as having air-conditioning. <BR>In the 14th, there is Hotel du Midi, some of whose rooms have air-conditioning, and Hotel New Parnasse. In the 7th, there is Hotel du Turenne (all of these are two-stars).

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 07:30 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I was just doing some research for someone and read that the hotel <BR>Clos Medicis also has air conditioning. <BR>I don't know the hotel, but the <BR>Fodor's Paris guidebook recommends it, and you can look for other comments on the websites I mentioned above.

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 09:57 PM
MsMiz

I returned from Paris last week and stayed at the Minerve. Great location. <BR>We enjoyed our room. We were 3 people and had adequate space. We had a breakfast terrace to sit on and it was very comfortable. I do not think there is air conditioning, but we did not need it. <BR> <BR>The only problem I had was checking out with the inexperienced overnight clerk. He did the payment on my credit card. I later noticed I was charged for one breakfast we did not have. When I went to point it out to him he said he could not issue a credit on my credit card. He then refunded me the difference taking cash from the cash register. As I was leaving in my cab (it was 4:30am to catch an early AM flight) he told me he had spoken to the manager and was told not to give me the cash refund as the computer showed I did indeed have the breakfast, and therefore it was coming from his pocket if I kept it. He told me had spoken to his manager on the phone and when I asked him why he did not tell the manager to speak to me directly he had no response, which led me to believe he had not spoken to his manager at all. (Also I am sure he did not call his manager it was 1AM when I checked out). <BR> <BR> We were 3 people and only had breakfast in the hotel once as it was not what we wanted on a daily basis (coffee/tea, one croissant, one danish & juice). <BR> I told him I was not accepting the charge of one extra breakfast I did not have ...and if he gave me his name I would contact the manager on my return home to settle the problem and ask to have his money refunded to him. He refused to give me his name and became quite irrate. I told him I would sign a receipt even. He refused. <BR> <BR>This person had not been working at the hotel long as I found he was unable to answer basic questions on other occasions, and was reading directions when he was entering my final bill in the computer so I told him, he or someone made an error. He was still irrate. I left and did not return the cash. <BR> <BR>Nonetheless, I dealt with the manager and others on a daily basis and had no problem. In fact they were very nice. I would stay there again without questions. . I feel this incident was based on the one person...not the place itself as it usually is. I do plan however to contact the hotel about this incident and clear up the matter.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Margo

The Minerve has been taken over by Eric Gaucheron who owns the Hotel Familia. Eris's wife Sylvie Royer is the manager. It does not have a/c. 30 out of the 54 rooms have been renovated. Here are some other details on the hotel. If you really want a/c, I have included info another centrally located reasonable priced hotel in the 7th: <BR>MINERVE: 13, rue Ecoles. Tel: 0143262604. Fax: 0144070196. (54 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 405-590F/62-90EUR single; 475-605F/72-92EUR double; 680F/104EUR triple. Breakfast (7-10am) at 42F pp can be served in the room. Visa, MC, AX. English spoken (Sylvie), cable TV w/CNN, newly renovated hotel w/nicely furnished nice-size newly carpeted rms., fabulous lobby w/antique furnishings, 19th-century tapestry & Persian rugs, 19th-century stonewalled vaulted breakfast rm., #507 (2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed, large bathroom w/bathtub & large balcony which faces square) & 207 (2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed, large bathroom w/bathtub & large balcony) are for 2 or 3 people; #505 (double bed, shower, balcony & view of rooftops); #601 (large rm. w/2 twin beds & large bathroom w/bathtub); #504, 505, 506, 507 & 207 have balconies, elevator, 6 flrs. Owned/managed by Sylvie Royer. Métro: Maubert-Mutualité. Eric doesn’t like having a Web site or e-mail because he prefers to talk with his guests directly. <BR> <BR>TURENNE: 20, ave. Tourville. Tel: 0147059992. Fax: 0145560604. E-mail: [email protected] (34 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 370F/56EUR single; 455F/69EUR (small rm. w/double bed)-475F/72EUR (double bed/bath or shower)-495F/75EUR (large rm. w/double bed/shower)-525F/80EUR (2 twin beds/bath); 630F/96EUR triple. Air-conditioned. Breakfast (7-10am) at 43F pp can be served in the room. Visa, MC, DC, AX. English spoken (Simone), cable TV w/CNN, modern hotel w/contemporary furnished pretty rms., old carpeting, all the rms. that end in #2 are for singles; #41 (small rm. w/double bed & tiny view of rooftops) at 455F for a double; #23 (double bed & faces street) at 475F; #26 (corner rm. w/2 twin beds, 2 French windows & view of street) at 525F for a double; #37 (view of street), 39 (view of street) & 40 (corner rm. w/3 windows, large bathroom & view of rooftops) all are large attic rms. w/double beds & 1 twin bed at 630F for a triple; soundproofed, hair driers, laundry services, bar, elevator, 6 flrs. Métro: École Militaire. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:44 AM
OHNONOTAGAIN

Margo strikes again ... I thought she was getting bumped from pushing her personal travel business on this forum. Time to contact Fodor's again.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:49 AM
OhNoNotAgain

Margo strikes again. I thought she had gotten bumped off this site. Time to contact Fodor's again.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Ellen

Why specifically do object to about Margo's information that she posted. I see Margo has removed any reference to her web site. I'm curious as to "Oh no not again" objects to and why is that? You are now being ridiculous. <BR>Ellen

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:27 PM
MC

Jason, just to clarify, the period that I stayed there WAS under Eric Gaucheron's ownership. When I went next door to the Familia to complain, they were very quick to clarify (twice!) that they are NOT the same hotel. The whole reason I booked there was because it was recommended on the forum. If you want a hassle-free vacation, I'd strongly suggest another hotel.