Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Minerve Grand Hotel in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/minerve-grand-hotel-in-rome-441399/)

minkyb Jun 10th, 2004 08:14 PM

Minerve Grand Hotel in Rome

Has anyone stayed here? Is it really a five star hotel? Is it quiet, are the rooms clean and big? How is the restaurant and the breakfast? Going in Sept. for 3 nights. Thanks!

rex Jun 10th, 2004 08:55 PM

I have not stayed there, but I have been in its public spaces, and have eaten brunch on its rooftop restaurant (plus took a peek in a room). It looks genuinely "upper-four-star" if not "five-star" outright. The rooftop restaurant was very nice (one ordered from the menu, and it was very good, but overpriced; everyone else went for the gorgeous buffet).

The only other time I have stayed in deluxe hotels was the Schweizerhof in Lucerne and the Pulitzer in Amsterdam - - both paid for by someone else. I personally would not ordinarily choose to spend over 300 dollars for a room anywhere.

For comparison sake, I will say that I like del Senato, just to give one example, and last stayed there, in May 2001, for under $160 (I think) - - this was before they (and many other hotels in Rome with favorable ratings) got "big-head-itis" (and of course, the euro:dollar rate is not their fault).

I think that the Minerve is a clear cut above del Senato (breakfast roomat del Senato is unimpressive, for example - - and it has no grand, large lobby). Probably on the same par as the Schweizerhof or Pulitzer (which has a cozy lobby, not a grand one - - but then, hey, its Amsterdam).

The Minerve is probably NOT as opulent as the St. Regis (I have been in its public spaces and restaurant as well), if opulence is the measuring stick.

Best wishes,

Rex

elaine Jun 11th, 2004 05:30 AM

I have family who stayed there last year. They are lucky enough to have stayed in many top-level hotels, and they thought the Minerva was very nice indeed. Refurbished within the past few years, nicely-sized rooms, but there are standard and there are deluxe or superior I believe. I would imagine that rooms facing the front might occasionally hear some vaporetto noise (unless completely offset by double glazing), , but you would not hear the roar of traffic as on a highway.
The hotel's location really couldn't be more convenient imo.

In a hotel of that level, "clean" should go without saying (ditto in hotels at lower levels.)

Andre Jun 11th, 2004 06:01 AM

Posted by Elaine: <i>&quot;I would imagine that rooms facing the front might occasionally hear some vaporetto noise&quot;</i>

In ROME????

LOL!!!

Andre

henchwife Jun 12th, 2004 02:28 PM

We stayed at the Minerva three years ago when it was still part of the Holiday Inn chain. Taking advantage of frequent flyer miles, we were able to get a very good rate on a standard room. Then I e-mailed the hotel and asked for the nicest room in that category in honor of our 20th anniversary. It was only a standard room (in comparison to others in the hotel) but it was gorgeous. Spacious marble bathroom, jacuzzi tub. (They had flowers, a fruit basket and a bottle of chilled wine waiting for us!) The public spaces are beautiful. They have a small bar w/ a pianist playing in the evenings. Very lovely. Treated graciously by all the staff. We ate lunch on the rooftop just once. Stunning view, but pricey. Treated royally. We'd go back in a heartbeat if we could get as good a rate again and the euro didn't cost so much right now. I suggest you e-mail the hotel, get to know the front desk staff... Have a great time.

rex Jun 14th, 2004 04:14 AM

&quot;topping&quot;... since it is your first post here to the Europe forum ever...

lilrhody Jun 17th, 2004 04:46 PM

I stayed there last year. It was quite nice and had a great location. I'm not sure I'd give it 5 stars (I'm a Four Seasons fan), but it definitely was very good.

amrach Jun 18th, 2004 07:04 AM

I will write a trip report about it when I return. We will be staying there in mid-July for our honeymoon. We initally had a reservation at the Exedra, but I felt the Minerve's location and pricing were much better so we decided to stay there instead.