Interlaken to Lago Maggiore- best route by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling in July with my husband and kids from Interlaken to Nice, stopping for a couple nights around Lago Maggiore (maybe in Stresa). What is the fastest/easiest route to take (it seems that we would need to go north to Luzerne in order to get the autoroute- we want to avoid alot of twisty mountain roads if we can. Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:01 PM

according to you criteria there is only the A2 through Luzern (though is actually east of Interlaken over the Brunig Pass), and then south through the 15km+ Gotthard tunnel. Lots of truck traffic on this route and can be horrendous back-ups at the tunnel. Unless there is a compelling reason not to take a windy road (children who get car sick?), I recommend you consider driving Interlaken to Kandersteg and take the train tunnel (put car on train) to Brig and over Simplon Pass (fairly easy pass to drive) the OR the more adventurous route over the Susten Pass from Meiringen then OVER the Gotthard Pass (not the tunnel). Very scenic drive this. ViaMichelin.com is a good source
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Niwaldner: Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I think we will take the drive from Kandersteg and train tunnel. How does the train tunnel work?Do you drive right on and stay in your car. Is there a time schedule for departures? Is there usually a long wait at the tunnel? Must we buy tickets for this tunnel? Thanks !
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Here is the website for the train tunnel. http://www.bls.ch/autoverlad/index_e.html

Yes, you drive your car on (like a ferry) and sit in the car for the approximately 15-min ride. The cost is 25sfr. one-way (about the amount you'd pay on fuel anyway if you had to drive around the mountains). The train runs from Kandersteg-Goppenstein every 30-minutes, every 15-min on Sat. and Sun. You buy tickets at booth before lining up (much like a ferry).

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Niwaldner: Thanks again!