Milano to Venice by air

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
Jack

Milano to Venice by air

Hi, <BR>My wife and I wish to travel from Milano to Venice by air - - then leave Venice for Santa Margherita - by ?? (air or train.) Please tell us - - is it easy to book a Milano to Venice on the day before we travel? What airlines would we use? And, what are your recommendations re Venice to Santa Margherita, for travel. <BR>Thx <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:32 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Jack! Why do you want to go from Milano to Venezia by air? If you purchase a ticket in advance, it will be about $200 on Alitalia, and the flight would be about 1 hour, but the lowest fares will not be available the day before, and there might not even be availability. The train ride is direct and it is about 3 hours, and it costs only about $18 second class on the IC.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:13 PM
Rex

The reason to fly from Milan to Venice is if you are flying INTO Milan, and thus are already at the airport. <BR> <BR>So this leads to the question, which airport, from which origin, which airline? I would start with the airline that is flying you into Milan (if that is what you are doing), and see if they have any deals as an "add-on" (or in essence, stop-over in Milan). <BR> <BR>As for travel from Venice to Santa Margherita, I assume you mean "the one" by Portofino (www.mapquest.com says that there are seven towns called Santa Margherita in Italy!) - - the Italian rail web site www.fs-on-line.com lists this station as S. Margherita Ligure-Portofino. <BR> <BR>There are two no-change routings of 5 hrs 15 minutes daily, and three other departures, with one (Milan) or two changes (Milan, Genova). <BR> <BR>I suppose that the nearest airport is GOA (20 miles, according to Travelocity, but 1 hr 15 minutes by train). Flying would still require a change in Milan, and the lowest fare I can find is $248 (roundtrip - - probably cheaper than the one-way) whereas the train is 54.500 LIT ($25 USD), 2nd class; 78.300 1st class. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Jack

Thanks all - - a train it is - looks easy. <BR>Jack

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:26 PM
Dayle

I went by train in May from Milan to Venice and it was so crowded that some people stood the whole way. Turns out it was a holiday weekend and lots of Milanese go to Venice for a break. Because I started in Milan, I got a seat (even in 1st class), but those getting on at stops after Milan didn't get a seat. check out your timing & maybe get an advance reservation. Have a wonderful time!