Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   milano hotel advice.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milano-hotel-advice-614249/)

russwuf May 9th, 2006 10:38 AM

milano hotel advice....

ok so my travel plans are firming up. Will be flying into and out of Milan. At the departure end of my journey,I am looking for a hotel in Milan for an overnight
stay having a 10a flight the next morn.
Will be arriving from Florence via train early Tues morn....so I will have all day in Milan.
First off....as mentioned, my flight leaves Malpensa at 10a. Given the approx. hour travel via train or bus to MXP, I suppose i am correct in assuming that we should take the first available train or bus to MXP?
What has been your experience with airport logistics timewise?
Secondly, would it we wiser to take the Xpress train from Cardorna.....thus to eliminate possible bus/auto traffic problems getting to MXP? If so, staying nearer Cardorna would be more wise to also ease getting on the train quickly yes?..again to eliminate possible milan rush hour hassles?
Either way I would feel more comfy staying near Centrale if taking the bus shuttle or similarly Cardorna to take the train Xpress.
That being said, a hotel near Cardorna or Centrale is in order. Thanx for your help and suggestions in advance fellow travelers.

russwuf May 9th, 2006 04:06 PM

topping.....no thoughts anyone?

Grandma May 10th, 2006 03:16 PM

I started a reply and it appears to have disappeared... so forgive if this is a duplicate. We stayed at a Hilton near the train station. It was within walking distance and transportation into the center was very easy. (There is also a very expensive hotel just outside the station. ) It was easy to access the bus to the airport..which leaves from the train station. Other posters have preferred to stay in the center of Milan.

rkkwan May 10th, 2006 05:27 PM

Since you need to get to the airport by around 8am, you'll be taking the 7am bus. Traffic heading out of the city at that time won't be a problem.

My parents and I stayed at the UNA Century near Centrale, but that's mostly because I got a good deal there, and we were arriving at Milan by train. If I were to choose again, I'd pick the Cadorna area instead. Not because of train-vs-bus to Malpensa, but because there's more going on near Cadorna than near Centrale. One can leisurely walk from Cadorna to the Duomo.

jkstrouse May 10th, 2006 06:25 PM

We stayed near Cadorna this past March, and it was really convenient for getting to the airport. Taking the Malpensa Express train was a snap. Here's a link to the Web site (with timetable) if you need it: www.ferrovienord.it/webmxp/ing/index.html. Looks like it starts running pretty early in the morning.

We stayed at Antica Locanda Leonardo (www.leoloc.com/en/index.htm), just a few blocks from the Cadorna Malpensa Express station. Nice place: large, clean rooms, friendly owners, good breakfast, relatively close to the main sights (about a 15- to 20-minute walk to the Duomo). It was ideal for staying only 1 night in Milan before flying home.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

bill_boy May 10th, 2006 06:26 PM

Hotel Antica Leonardo is a nice, clean, quiet hotel that is about 10 minute walk to Cadorna and 2 minutes away from Santa Maria de Grazie which houses da Vinci's Last Supper.

We stayed there for the same reason as yours, i.e. to catch the early bus to Malpensa for our outbound flight.

i_am_kane May 10th, 2006 06:37 PM

We cut to the chase when we had an overnight in Milan...stayed at the Diana Majestic and had a cab waiting for us at 7:45 a.m.

Since it was a Sunday morning, there was no traffic on the roads, and we arrived in plenty of time for our departure flight.

phoebebennet May 11th, 2006 08:58 AM

I recently spent one night in Milan before flying out of Malpensa the next day. I stayed near the central train station at the "Hotel Monopole" and it was clean, the staff was helpful and spoke Italian and English. It is very near the bus to malpensa. There is a vintage streetcar which takes you past (or to) la Scala, Il Duomo etc.
I came into Milan via train from florence, and since the train goes to centrale, i found it more convenient.
I am a woman, and I went alone. At no time did I feel threatened or uncomfortable.
have a great trip
Barbara