Milan to Monterosso trains

Jul 9th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Milan to Monterosso trains

We are 2 couples travelling in September and I'm trying to book train tickets from Milan to Monterosso preferably by the most direct train. The Trenitalia site already advises that some trains are sold out , would that be correct or am I trying to buy too early .im in Australia and it seems I can book on a rail europe US site and UK site but of course can't have the tickets shipped to me but the Australian site doesnt offer the same available trains . Has anyone any suggestions , thanks
Jul 9th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Many train Milan to Monterosso are regional or IC trains - regional trains do not take seat reservations and are a flat and very cheap fare - just buy that ticket in Milan - no reason to book ahead - cannot be sold out since anyone can always board. IC trains demand seat reservations but are also a fairly low flat fare so just buy once there - those trains just IME do not sell out - especially in first class.

So just put angst to rest and buy those tickets once there - no real savings to do ahead and you will have no problem getting on those trains.

For lots of great stuff on Italian trains I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Jul 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM

There are very few direct trains - about every 3 hours or so and are IC trains - looking at schedules you usually have to change at least one - simple change in Genoa - quickest time is just under 3 hours - most links seem to involve IC trains which again can easily be booked once in Italy if you cannot get the often fickle trenitalia.com site to work.
Jul 9th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Palen is soooooo right! These trains (almost every hour from 6.10 until 20.10) are never sold out. Local people usually buy their ticket (ticket counter, ticket machine or download to cellphone) not earlier than 1 hr prior to the train's departure.
Jul 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Yup IMO a waste of time fooling around at trenitalia.com - what happens if you have to cancel your trip - just buy that ticket in MIlan and decide then which train you want to take.
Jul 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM

I may suggest a stopover in Genoa, where you may well have to change trains as well - a few hours seeing one of Europe's most maze-like areas of tiny lanes in its medieval section right near the main train station would be sweet! Or just to have lunch in a suave caffe or resto in the posh city center. Put your bags in the luggage storage in the train station.
Jul 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for putting my kind at rest , I have been to Italy before and bought tickets on the day but our friends are first timers to Italy with me doing the planning , want to be organised. Getting very excited now.
Jul 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM

IC trains and some regional trains have first class and the price may not be much more than 2nd class - IC trains can get crowded if rarely full but 1st class on those trains means lots of empty seats to spread out around with you and your bags - for the relatively little extra cost consider it!
Jul 12th, 2013, 04:54 AM

Thanks so much for putting my kind at rest , I have been to Italy before and bought tickets on the day but our friends are first timers to Italy with me doing the planning , want to be organised. Getting very excited now.>

I always advise novice travelers to have everything written down to take to the ticket counter - train time, train number, 1st or 2nd class, destination, number of passengers, etc. A print out from trenitalia.com may help to avoid any language barrier and of course the date you want to take the train.
Jul 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM

and if www.trenitalia.com - Italian Railways site is not easy to use as many find then go to www. bahn.de/en - the German Railways site and print out the info for the trains they want to buy ducats on. German Railways seb site has schedules for all European trains and to me is the easiest to use.