Search

Milan to Lake Hallstatt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan to Lake Hallstatt

Hi,

My 13 year old son and I are planning a month long trip to Europe this upcoming May, visiting Italy, Austria, and Germany.

I have most of the itinerary planned (thanks to many on this great site) but can't seem to find any recommendations on the best alpine road from Cortina D' Ampezzo to Lake Hallstatt. We are not necessarily after the fastest route just the most beautiful.

We have time to spare so any must-see, slightly out of the way, recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

After Hallstatt we are traveling to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, through to Garmisch via the German Alpine Road.

Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM

The most scenic way would be via the Grossglockner Alpine Road (toll). This road is also numbered as B107 on maps like viamichelin.com, but the winter closure lasts until early May. So you may have to check road conditions again then.
http://www.grossglockner.com/

From Cortina, you would head northeast, towards Lienz on B100 after the Italian/Austrian border. Then north on B107 (Heiligenblut is a very scenic Alpine village) until you get to the intersection with B311 and turn East again.

After appr. 30 kilometers, another sight worth stopping is the Eisriesenwelt (ice caves) near Werfen:
http://www.eisriesenwelt.at
(click on the UK flag)

Going from Cortina to Hallstatt that way can be a day trip, but the mountain roads consume quite some time, so you may or may not have time to see the ice caves.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Hi Kiwi - Between Cortina and Lienz I'd highly recommend a detour over the Falzarego Pass to Val Badia for some beautiful Dolomites scenery.

At the top of the Falzarego Pass don't miss the Lagazuoi cable car ride. Awesome ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM

P.S. You could also include Lake Braies - the most beautiful lake in Italy!

Steve
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, great recommendations!

I love this site.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM

Since you'll be going through Garmisch, you certainly shouldn't miss a visit (if not an overnight stay) in Mittenwald. It's just an absolutely beautiful town - much smaller and more quaint than Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Lynn