Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milan-overnight-or-not-en-route-to-mxp-with-2-kids-1114853/)

ellielah Jun 25th, 2016 05:05 AM

Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids

We will be staying in Rome for about a week in early September (family of 4). It's much more economical to fly in/out of MXP and book train travel to/from Rome. For heading home we can't decide whether to keep our booking in Rome as-is or to cut it a day short and spend one night in Milan as we are heading strath to Rome on the way in. Our main concern, of course, being the train schedule - with a 4pm international flight back to US - how early do we need to get to MXP? With 2 kids in tow we can't reasonably leave super early in the AM, so I'm looking at trains that get to MXP around 12-1pm. Of course, I'm also concerned that a train strike could completely screw up the plan to do train to plane in one day. Am I playing with fire here? Suggestions?
Also - for staying in Milan for one night with kids - suggestions on neighborhoods/hotels?

neckervd Jun 25th, 2016 05:14 AM

Trains from Roma Termini railway station to MXP airport, Terminal 1, every 30 min; for example Rome dp 9.00 - MXP ar 13.16, with a train change at Milano Centrale station (you will have 30 min for that).
Standard fare 101 EUR/pax. Huge discounts if you book ahead in the web.

vincenzo32951 Jun 25th, 2016 05:34 AM

You don't give your budget for a hotel, but the Hotel Star is a good moderately priced hotel in an excellent location. Clean, decent-size rooms and bathrooms, good breakfast included, excellent location.

socaltraveler Jun 25th, 2016 05:46 AM

I would train to Milan the night before, and enjoy your last evening in Italy; you can sleep in and get to the airport leisurely without stressing about it from Rome.

nochblad Jun 25th, 2016 05:49 AM

Unless you are a clairvoyant leave Rome on the day of departure from MXP. Only change your plans should there be a strike but remember that strikes usually affect local services and not Frecciarossa connections.

Should you wish to arrive in Milan the night before look for a hotel near the Milano Cadorna station. It is an easy walk to the Castello Sforzesco and then on to the centre of Milan and the Duomo. The best route is Via Dante which is traffic free apart from certain intersections.

ellielah Jun 25th, 2016 08:40 AM

Vincenzo - I had seen Star Hotel recommended on other posts. Alas no availability.
Sounds like we maybe should stress about same day train to plane?

Jean Jun 25th, 2016 09:17 AM

I'm a worrywart, and I also like Milan, so I'd go the night before.

But there are several trade fairs in Milan in early September, so finding a moderately priced hotel might not be easy. Try searching on booking.com

We've also stayed at the Hotel Star a couple of times, but one booking site states they don't accept guests under age 18. They used to market themselves as a business hotel, so I suppose that restriction is possible.

DebbieDoesDulles Jun 25th, 2016 10:13 AM

We had a cozy quad room at Arco della Pace B&B, well-located, breakfast included, bathroom was private and free cancellation. Allow yourselves about 75-90 mins to get from Milan city center to MXP.

HappyTrvlr Jun 25th, 2016 12:48 PM

We stayed near Milan Cadorna station at Antica Locanda Leonardo and loved it. Wonderful breakfast, quiet, with a garden area too.

Jean Jun 25th, 2016 01:54 PM

The mention of Antica Locanda Leonardo reminded me of the Last Supper which is only a couple of blocks from the hotel. If you wanted to view this treasure, you need to make reservations ASAP.

nytraveler Jun 25th, 2016 05:50 PM

With 2 little kids (it sounds like) I would go to Milan the night before.

For an international flight to the US you need to be AT the airport 3 hours in advance - which means arriving in Milan at noon at the latest. And if there are any delays in the train Rome to Milan or Milan to airport you may be up the creek - trying to rush with 2 kids (and are either so young they need strollers or to be held onto in public?)

dreamon Jun 25th, 2016 09:16 PM

If looking for an alternative to staying in Milan, perhaps consider Arona on Lake Maggiore. One hour plus to Malpensa by train on your departure day.

neckervd Jun 26th, 2016 06:02 AM

Arona is a nice place, but the timetable of the airport bus (alibus) doesn't really match with your flight:
Arona dp 11.50 - MXP Terminal 1 ar 12.25
resp
Arona dp 13.50 - MXP Terminal 1 ar 14.25

Reading54 Jun 26th, 2016 06:42 AM

A few years ago I took a high speed train from Roma Termini to Milano Centrale. Our train stopped somewhere in mid track and waited and waited. The broadcast system announced something in Italian which I did not understand, but the end result was that we were 60 minutes late pulling into Milan.

So plan it safe if you have a plane to catch.

dreamon Jun 26th, 2016 02:25 PM

According to trenitalia there are trains Arona to MXP although it does seem that the bus is quite a bit faster. Are there other reasons for not using the train? Would like to know as I may stay in Arona myself when departing Milan.

neckervd Jun 26th, 2016 11:00 PM

"According to trenitalia there are trains Arona to MXP"

It's not impossible to go by train from Arona to MXP, but it can get a nightmare!
In the best case, you will have to change at Gallarate, in the worst case, you have to go by train up to Busto FS, take there a bus to Busto Nord and go on with another train.

Best way:
Taxi
Alibus
Train to Gallarate plus bus (if there is one at the time you need it)
Train to Gallarate plus taxi

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardi...orarioLinea.do

dreamon Jun 26th, 2016 11:47 PM

Thanks neckervd - appreciated.