Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   milan mxp to rome via train..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milan-mxp-to-rome-via-train-607995/)

russwuf Apr 15th, 2006 08:26 PM

milan mxp to rome via train.....

hey fellow italy travelers,
has anyone experienced flying into milan MXP and taking a train from there to Rome Termini? Am thinking of flying into Milan MXP and stopping in Milan to take in a Last Supper viewing and heading onward to Rome.
Seems as if most if not all trains to Rome generate from Milano Centrale. Yet, I also see that the Malpensa Express does not go to Centrale? Is there another train from MXP to Centrale....or would I have to take the Express to one station and transfer to Centrale?
Thanx in advance for your help/experience with this.

rkkwan Apr 15th, 2006 08:33 PM

The Malpensa Express train goes to Cardona. There's no train from MXP to Centrale, but there's a bus - Malpensa Shuttle that's only 5 euro, and runs every 20 minutes.

But Last Supper is very close to Cardona, so you should take the train. After that, you can take the subway to Centrale.

WallyKringen Apr 15th, 2006 08:38 PM

Book way ahead for the last supper, currently it's booked out for six weeks or more, and has been like that through winter - it's only going to get worse.

If you travel light, it's not much of a bother to get from Cardona to wherever you'll be going. It's also a metro stop. But if you're loaded down, then you'd better take the bus from MXP to the Milano Centrale station where you can stash the bags and be footloose. There's a metro station there, too, of course.

WK

russwuf Apr 15th, 2006 08:38 PM

aha...thanx for that tip rkkwan about the subway....hmm so how is the Milano subway system? ...near to Cardona? safe? is there a luggage hold area at cardona to avoid dragging the bags around during the short visit in Milano?
thanx..

nessundorma Apr 15th, 2006 08:40 PM

The MXP goes to Cadorna and the Last Supper at the Santa Maria delle Grazie is within walking distance from there, provided you are not carrying a lot of luggage. The MXP takes about 45 minutes. The walk to the church is about 15 minutes.

You could take the Metro to Centrale after viewing the Last Supper to continue your journey, but it would be simpler to get a taxi.

If you don't want to take your luggage to the church (and I'm not certain where you would leave it at Santa Maria delle Grazie in order to view the Last Supper), you could take a bus from Malpensa to Milano Centrale (1 hour), deposit your luggage in the train station, then take the Metro to and from the church or a taxi. Pick up your luggage and take the train to Rome. (travel time to the church is about 15-20 minutes, but more if you don't know your way.)

You need to make a reservation to see The Last Supper, so don't neglect that.

WallyKringen Apr 15th, 2006 08:41 PM

Don't know about leaving luggage at Cardona - could be, I just don't know.

The metro is fine - just be seriously pickpocketproof like you should be for everywhere else, too.

WK

nessundorma Apr 15th, 2006 08:42 PM

All our posts crossed. I don't know if there is a luggage hold at Cadorna. Or if the church would hold the luggage for you.

The Milan subway is safe, with the usual precautions about pickpockets. There is a subway stop at Cadorna.

russwuf Apr 16th, 2006 10:29 PM

any other thoughts anyone? how about the segment from milano centrale to roma termini..scenic?..nice ride? thanx bunches

Intrepid1 Apr 17th, 2006 12:39 AM

I'm not sure I'd call the rail ride Milan-Rome "scenic" although the train does go through the long Appenine Tunnel and, therefore, through the mountains.

There are some "vistas" here and there.

The ride is smooth and fast.

Intrepid1 Apr 17th, 2006 02:50 AM

BTW, the station name is CardoRNA.

Intrepid1 Apr 17th, 2006 02:54 AM

Sorry, my mistake..it is Cadorna

here is a link to the Milan metro map. I have found the system easy to use and many of the folks in the ticket kiosks, etc., speak English and can help you with directions.

http://urbanrail.net/eu/mil/milano.htm