Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Milan Malpensa and AirOne (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milan-malpensa-and-airone-404045/)

amyb Jul 29th, 2008 06:36 PM

Milan Malpensa and AirOne

Ok, in a desperate attempt to get to Italy to save my sanity, I am contemplating a direct flight BOS-MXP and returning FCO-MXP-BOS. The fare is wonderful, but I am wondering about AirOne as a transatlantic carrier and a 1h 5m connection time in Milan on my way home.

Any expert thoughts on either?

zeppole Jul 29th, 2008 08:02 PM

What is BOS? Boston?

Nothing wrong with AirOne, if that's your question.

MXP is a small airport, with easy to negotiate terminals. I wouldn't worry a short layover, unless you are checking luggage.

kfusto Jul 30th, 2008 06:51 AM

I like MXP as a connecting airport. Not too big, a business as opposed to tourist oriented airport which lends itself to efficiency.

Re AirOne it is major airline in Italy so I would not be hesitant to book.

travelgourmet Jul 30th, 2008 08:32 AM

No problems with Air One, but that might be a wee bit tight for the connection, as they seem to like to make you take the bus to and from your airplane at MXP (We once got off on the jetbridge, only to be directed down stairs to a waiting bus). But, if they are ticketing it, then they must think it is doable, and I would give it a go. Just be prepared to run.

amyb Jul 30th, 2008 08:44 AM

Thanks all. I wimped out in the end and now have a 5 hour connection (!) but at least I feel better about that (and a $680 fare!). I'll let you all know how AirOne turns out. It is a good thing for Boston since Alitalia's undoing (and canceling of flights).

amyb Sep 26th, 2008 07:04 AM

A lesson that you get what you pay for: I was reading another forum yesterday and saw that AirOne dropped the Boston route. My flight was cancelled and I never got notification about it. I am on hold now getting my full refund and now have no airfare for my trip in a month! Just a warning to others who may have booked on AirOne from the US to Italy.

travelgourmet Sep 27th, 2008 05:11 AM

That is too bad, Amyb. I guess we should consider the following a hard and fast rule?

<b>Do not trust Italian airlines under any circumstances!</b>

If you are looking for an alternative, I would suggest checking out Northwest. I usually find them competitive price wise and the connection in AMS is incredibly easy (anything 1h 30m or more will give you loads of time). Ensure that you are on the A330 - the 7-ish flight from BOS and the afternoon flight back, last I checked. I would rate the coach experience on that plane to be the best one out of BOS.

sgerhar1 Sep 29th, 2008 02:49 PM

In a panic, I called Air One about my flight out of Boston this Sat. It turns out we dodged cancellation by one day. All Boston flights are cancelled as of Sun., Oct 5.