Milan, Italy to Wengen, Switzerland...

Jan 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Milan, Italy to Wengen, Switzerland...

Does any one know if this trip is possible as a day trip (Milan to Wengen)? And, whether it is or not, how would I go about using the public transportation systems to get to and from?

If this is not a possible day trip, is there anywhere in Switzerland that would be an okay day trip from Milan?
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hi Dzyre - Wengen is not viable as a day-trip (- it's several hours journey via Brig-Spiez-Interlaken

Possible day-trips?

= Lugano
- Locarno
- Zermatt

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Milan - Zermatt: 4 hours one way by train. See sbb.ch and type in the destinations.

Lugano is much closer. You can take the funicular up to Monte Bre or walk to Gandria and take the ferry back.

Lugano's old town is small but very quaint.
Jan 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! The only thing I am concerned about is that I will be visiting Como (in Italy) just a few days before Switzerland and I am not sure if Lugano or Locarno will look too similar to Lake Como. I've never been to Switzerland before and would like to see something different.

Any ideas about this?
Jan 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Hi,
You haven't mentioned any details of your trip; however, there are at the moment several threads on the Europe forum about Wengen and Murren in Switzerland, both of which are accessible by train only and both of which are world class destinations in the fabulous mountain scenery category. Therefore, not knowing anything about your plans, I would nevertheless strongly suggest that you make every effort to go to Wengen and Murren, staying in either village depending on whether you want a really small quaint village (Murren) or whether you want a slightly larger quaint village (Wengen) with more choices for hotels and restaurants.

I don't know when you are thinking of going, but if you type in the words wengen or murren in the search window on this Europe forum, you will see the current threads about these destinations and various hotel suggestions.

The beauty of these destinations is that both Wengen and Murren are pedestrian villages accessible by trains of various kinds. And the scenery is really worth the trip! But not as a day trip. Besides, once you get there, you won't want to leave, anyway.

Jane
Jan 31st, 2008, 02:51 AM

Hi dzyre,

As others have said, the village of Wengen is too far for a day-trip (4h19 each way) but well worth an overnight or two.

But the sweet little town of Brig is only about two hours from Milan by direct (0 changes) train. Brig is a lovely little town with a beautiful old town and a charming castle, and it is surrounded by mountains.

There are some smaller villages north of Brig that are up in the mountains, and I think at least one of them is car-free too. You can access the Aletsch Glacier from these villages. You might start your research at www.aletsch.ch.

You can check all of your train schedules at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Have fun!

s