Milan in March, Then Where?

Nov 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Milan in March, Then Where?

Will be in Milan in mid March (husband giving talk at conference). From there we would like to spend time somewhere?? Have been to Italy 4 times in past so thinking elsewhere?? Any suggestions? Love to sightsee and learn about different cultures etc?
Nov 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM

"... so thinking elsewhere??" Do you mean in Italy or another country?

It would help to know where you've already been.
Nov 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM

How much time will you have?

One thought would be a visit to Torino, a lovely interesting city less than 2 hours away by train.
Nov 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Either, Italy somewhere new or somewhere else. We have been to Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence, Sienna, Pisa, Varese, Bergamo, Padova.
Nov 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

as far as time, we are flexible we want to stay for at least a week after the conference, so will have time to travel some. Thanks for all your ideas and help!
Nov 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
DAX

The next obvious destinations around Milan : Lake Como, Lake Maggiore, Lake Orta, Portofino and surroundings, Cinque Terre, Asti, and as ellenem already suggested Torino. Just buy an Italian guidebook to figure out what they have to offer. I would even recommend Parma, Modena, Pienza, Mantova, Ferrara and Bologna east of Milan. You have to do your own legwork with the guidebooks to figure out what you like as all of us like different things.
Nov 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM

You could fly to Sicily.
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM

You could have a lot of rain so I would opt for cities where you could enjoy spending time indoors, birmar. DAX mentioned Bologna etc. which was my first thought also. Wonderful food of course and the portico's over the buildings protect one from the weather if it is raining. I would take the train to Bologna from Milan versus renting a car in case there is heavy fog in the area. You could do various daytrips from Bologna from the train station and plan each day depending on the weather situation. Best regards and have fun!

Search this Thread