I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 2 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 3 YAHOO @Password Reset Contact 1:888:260:2909 YAHOO Tec*h supp0rt ak/47
- 4 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 5 First time in Spain
- 6 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 7 Trains - website?
- 8 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 9 GTG Paris December 2017
- 10 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 11 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 12 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 13 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 14 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 15 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 Visit to France
- 18 Barcelona to Malaga
- 19 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 20 Which Area in London?
- 21 family trip to Germany and more
- 22 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 23 Packing Champagne
- 24 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 25 Milan airport--which one