Calm base in Italy, Beginning of October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calm base in Italy, Beginning of October

Hello, I'm new here, I hope I ll get some useful help from you

Me and 3 friends of mine are going to Italy in the beginning of October

We're gonna have first three days in Florence and then move to Rome for another 4 days to meet our friends.

After Rome we need some calm and lazy base for 4-5 days (probably near the sea) we're planing to relax and have a rest.

I would love to know your suggestions
there are options like Garda Lake, La Spezia, Amalfi Coast and Puglia (Ostuni)
We will fly back home either from Venice, Milan, Rome or Bari

P.S. Take into consideration we will be on budget for last days, because of that Ostuni is the best option for us.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 02:21 AM

In terms of budget alone, Ostuni may not be your best bet once you spend the extra money to get there. Check out the possibility of going to Salerno/Paestum, where you should be able to find food and accommodations very near as cheap as those you would find in Ostuni. Also, if you are not planning to rent a car, you could be a bit stranded in Ostuni for interesting things to do if it isn't beach weather, whereas if you stay in Salerno or Paestum you can very easily get on a train or bus and find plenty of indoor sightseeing.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 02:39 AM

For instance, I don't know if this apartment in Salerno is available for your dates, but it has 3 bedrooms and costs about 75e per night for the whole place. It's only a few minutes walk from the Salerno train station and not much further to the ferry docks, so you have lots of options for excursions as well.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2690109...uests=4&s=7aKu

If you want to stay right on a beach, or be able to walk to one, then it is better to stay in Paestum, since Salerno doesn't have a great beach. This place in Paestum is a block from the beach, and it's only 50e per night, with plenty of beds for all of you.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2706354...uests=4&s=D4_s
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 02:50 AM

In case you are unclear, Salerno is about 90 minute train ride from Rome, and Paestum is about a 2 hour+ train ride. From Salerno it is easy to see Pompei, the Amalfi coast, Capri and Naples, plus Paestum, using public transportation. Salerno itself has very interesting sights and loads of cheap delicious food, but you would need to take a bus or train to swim at a nice beach, since Salerno doesn't have one. Salerno mainly has a promenade and docks along the water. Paestum has sand beaches. However, once you are in Paestum, which has beautiful sights and good cheap food, it is a bit harder to daytrip to places other than Salerno and Paestum (which has cheese tours!) if you end up with a rainy day. But Naples is doable, and so is Pompei with an umbrella.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 09:13 AM

No matter which of those places you decide to stay, you're going to have to spend your last night a little nearer to an airport, unless your flight is in the evening.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for all your Advices

sandralist
Yours was very helpful, but the thing is that I found very nice accommodation in Ostuni for the same price (bit cheaper)
and there is also cheap flight from rome to Brindisi (around 20euros)

And also there is a Flight from Bari to Budapest (our last destination)

So will this still be comfortable? or it's hard to get from Brindisi to Ostuni and then to Bari?

Thank You
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are buses to both airports from Ostuni, you need to ensure your timings are correct. You also need the airport bus not the town bus. But the town bus might give you a better time and then follow with a local airport bus.

Go to the Bari and the Brindisi airport websites and check out the bus timetables, they are pretty much on time.

Start here, http://pugliairbus.aeroportidipuglia.it/default.aspx pull down the time table and routes. You only need to book at the top of the season.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

bilboburgler

Thank you!
I checked website but there are one departures to ostuni from Brindisi
But i think we won't get lost
we can always take train to Ostuni