Milan day trip from Bellagio?

Feb 16th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Milan day trip from Bellagio?

I am going to be in Bellagio for 3 days in early May. I have never been to Milan, and I was thinking about doing a day trip, or maybe one night in Milan.

I will be driving a brand new car, and I am a little worried about taking it into Milan. Would it be a mistake to drive into Milan? What about the train? Is it relatively easy and quick to train in from Bellagio/Como?

What would your suggestions be for a day trip? My sense is that Milan is about commerce and shopping, and not much else. If I do stay overnight, any recommendations on the prime location for such a quick stop - is there a "center" of Milan?

Thank you.
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:40 AM

FS - I wouldn't drive - it's easier to take the train.

From Bellagio you take the short ferry crossing to Varenna and catch the train from there. It takes a little over an hour.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 16th, 2005, 03:00 AM

We actually took a "day trip" into Milan from Menaggio when we were there two years ago.

The best way would be as others have advised, take the ferry over to Varenna and the train from there. The train trip to Milan takes about one hour and 20 minutes, feery ride is another 10-15 minutes; walking uop to the train station in Varenna another 10 minutes or so from the ferry dock.

Trains run about every two hours.

Was it worth it? We saw the Duomo which was under scaffolding; LaScala was closed for renovation. We did not visit "The Last Supper" but did have a wonderful lunch and a leisurely walk around parts of the city mostly window shopping.

Personally, I would stay around the mid-lake area or around the lake period and not bother with Milan. An interesting place but you'll have plenty to do at the lake without venturing into the city IMO.
Feb 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM
DRJ

I've been to Milan a few times, latest last November, and find it a lively city well worth the trip. If you are at all a foodie Peck is the best food and wine store in the world, IMO. and makes the whole visit worthwhile.
Feb 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. I am leaning towards skipping Milan, But I think I'll just play it by ear. But I would sure love to see Peck, since I have heard so many great things about it.
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Assuming this isn't your last trip to Italy, you'll probably be flying into or out of Milan some time in the future. Why don't you save your visit for then?

Feb 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM

In my opinion, I'd take the train into the city for the day. It's so easy to do and Milan is so fabulous. Take the subway to the Duomo station. You can take in the Duomo, Galleria, and Peck very easily. Have lunch and then head back to the lake. I'm going there again in September and plan to have a great time. Don't let the Milan-o-phobes turn you off to a great city.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:39 AM

What is Peck? Also, I realize it's pretty darn early 2005 right now, but I thought I read somewhere that the scaffolding at the Duomo was coming down in 2005. Does anyone have a progress report on that?
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM

We had a "wonderful" time trying to get out of Milan in a rental car last year. We saved money renting at the train station instead of an aiport, but it wasn't worth the extra time and hassles so I wouldn't recommend driving into the center of Milan. If you want to drive you could park at one of the train stops very close to Milan and be into the center in a few hours.

If we return to Lake Como area we will skip Milano and instead visit Bergamo or some of the other towns nearby that aren't quite so industrial and large...I also want to visit the Madonna del Ghisallo Chappel above Bellagio as a cyclist - a car would make that easy!
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Just googled the Duomo and it is covered for the rest of the year. That's unfortunate, but the inside is beautiful also.

Peck is a fabulous gourmet wonderland that I'm dying to see: http://www.peck.it/en/luoghi.html

My hotel is nearby and I plan to spend quite a lot of time in this place.
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM

I would definitely head to Milan for the day. Don't let the scaffolding on the Duomo hold you back. The coolest part of the Duomo is going up on the roof and walking through the cathedral spires. You can still enjoy this.

Milan's also a great Happy Hour city. Tons of places, especially in Brera and the Navigli district, lay out giant Happy Hour appetizer tables. The food's free!! After a little sightseeing, you can go on a great pub crawl and have a couple of beers or glasses of wine while also enjoying some tasty munchies. May's a great time to do this too. Can't think of a better way to spend a few hours on any Italian trip.

Feb 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM

rjuarez42,
I've been researching the happy hour scene and can't wait. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, we are going to the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon, but will need a place for dinner. I see that a lot of places are closed on Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions for dinner on Sunday night?
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Well, you don't explain why you "have a brand new car", or what the importance of that statement is...but, my personal rule is, "Don't ever drive in a country where you don't speak the language /or are not a citizen." If there is a problem, not even good luck or God help you can save time or aggravation. The previous threads are ditto for me! Milan is great for a day: Duomo, Galleria, Da Vinci's Last Supper, a look at La Scala's renewed interior, and a pot pourri of designer shops. The lake districts are so much more fun for a relaxed, extended vacation.
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I did a day trip from Bellagio to Milan twice. Take the hydrofoil from Bellagio to Comom and then walk over to the train station and get on a direct train to Milan. The main reason to go to Milan should be to see Da VInci's " The Last Supper. You must get reservations in advance. The exterior of the Duomo is pretty but the interior very disappointeng. People watching is the best as the Milanese are the best dressed in the world.
Feb 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Check to see if you need reservations for Last Supper. We were in Milan in March the a.m. and couldn't get in until 5 on the same day and that was because someone dropped out! Good luck!
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:04 AM

With all the Da Vinci Code groupees, you will need a reservation to see the Last Supper I'm sure. Very easy to do online. Here is one site: http://www.cenacolovinciano.org/english/

Feb 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
rex

I've made a day trip to Milan from Menaggio, driving, and parking very close to the Duomo/center - - but then, I am generally fearless about taking a car anywhere (in the city of London is my one exception, so far, in life - - and didn't drive in Tokyo - - I don't know if I would try that on another trip or not).

Found an open spot on the street, and got a parking ticket. Didn't attempt to pay it, and never heard anything further about it (I'm not saying that this is defensible - - just reporting to you what happened and what I did).

I agree that the scaffolding would be a regrettable factor that might influence me against a visit, but only a minimal factor. It is somewhat cool to go up on the roof of the Duomo (I don't know any other building on earth like this - - a roof made all from marble, and very much suited to walk all over it). And Il Cenacolo (The last supper) is certainly worth the modest effort required to make a reservation and see it. Plus the Galleria is certainly of architectural interest, even if the shopping is not that big a deal (McDonalds, ties, smokers' stuff are the few memorable items I recall from there).

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi,
I agree with the suggestion of avoiding the car.

Go to Como, from there you have two train lines: FNM (Ferrovie Nord) just in front of the lake and arriving at Milano Cadorna (then you can easily walk to Castello and Duomo in 2 / 5 minutes) or Trenitalia 10 minutes walk from the lake. Trenitalia trains arrive at Stazione Centrale (internation trains) or Porta Garibaldi (local) in 25 to 45 minutes. From Centrale the yellow underground line goes to Duomo, from Garibaldi the green line goes to Cadorna and then you can walk (as stated above) or get the red line to Duomo (3' stop).
YOU HAVE TO BOOK IN ADVANCE the Last Supper visit, a small museum that you should not miss is the Poldi Pezzoli!

Grazie, ciao.

Gianni (Milan, Italy)
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I'd skip Milan unless you're into big cities. We loved Varenna & surrounding towns. Stayed two nights at the Olividad--good price, great food and wonderful views. We took rental car two hours north into St. Moritz--the views alone were worth the drive. Enjoy your trip.
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:52 PM

"Message: but, my personal rule is, "Don't ever drive in a country where you don't speak the language /or are not a citizen."

Wow. That's quite a statement. I'm glad I don't agree with it or we would have missed some of our greatest travel adventures driving in Germany, Norway, Finland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Slovenia, Turkey, Greece, and Austria for starters!!

By the way, I'm TOTALLY into big cities, but I still wouldn't give up one of three days in Bellagio to go to Milan!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO