Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Milan / Como (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milan-como-939757/)

Yasmintt Jun 19th, 2012 02:16 PM

Milan / Como

Hii everyone, we r planning our honeymoon trip to Italy & Spain next Sep. We'll stay in Italy for 6 days (1night in Milan & 5 nights in Como). we want to visit the Alps, so can anyone advise about the 1 day trips to the Italian Alps, best places to go, and finally if it is possible to go Switzerland for just 1 day ?!!
Thanks a lot :))

Anna_Galea Jun 19th, 2012 02:41 PM

How about staying on Lake Maggiore instead - or at least start off early from Lake Como for a day trip around this lake? There is a ferry service around Lake Maggiore that makes stops at some Swiss coastal towns and villages on the lake, and from there you can do trips in the vicinity in Switzerland. For example you can make a stop at Locarno and from there head up a mountain top by cable car. I haven't been on Lake Maggiore for a long long time, but I have been making some research on it lately, as we are considering whether we should take a small break in that region this Summer.

To the north and north-west of Como you would find the most beautiful mountain scenary of the Alps.

Steve_James Jun 20th, 2012 12:58 AM

Hi Yasmintt - For a day-trip to Switzerland, Lugano is an easy option from Menaggio.

Alternatively - depending on where you are staying on Lake Como - a trip on the scenic Bernina Express (- from Tirano) might be viable with careful planning.

Will you have a car?

Steve

Anna_Galea Jun 20th, 2012 06:18 AM

Yes, Lugano is really lovely.

reb77 Jun 20th, 2012 06:48 AM

hi, i also want to plan something very similar. would you mind sharing your itenary with me?
thanks

traveller1959 Jun 20th, 2012 12:24 PM

If you want to see the Alps, I would probably drive from Como to Sankt Moritz, where you will have excellent access to the mountains. Driving time will be three hours from Como.

However, I would not recommend to stay in Como, but in one of the more charming small villages on the lake, e.g. in Tremezzo. Driving time into the Alps from Tremezzo will be 20 min less than from Como.

Yasmintt Jun 23rd, 2012 12:42 PM

Thanks all for ur feedback. No, Steve i won't have a car. actually i don't have any idea about the places to visit in Como. i am planning for a 6 nights stay in Italy including 1 night in Milan. i don't want to spend much time in transportation cause i 'll leave after to Spain (visiting 2 cities) !! so what do u think visiting 2 out of these 3 ( Lake Maggiore, Menaggio or Tremezzo) or just stay in one and go for 1 day trips ?! i don't want to spend so much money, so which is better ? thanks again

Steve_James Jun 26th, 2012 01:03 AM

If I were you I'd just choose one - and do excursions from there.

I like Menaggio as a base. The setting is lovely, it's central - and convenient for excursions around the lake. Just my personal opinion ...

Steve

Anna_Galea Jun 26th, 2012 11:12 PM

Since you have only 5 nights on the lakes, and you won't be driving, I would stay in one place and do trips from there.