Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   milan car hire (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/milan-car-hire-966274/)

leon2 Feb 10th, 2013 12:04 AM

milan car hire

anyone had success renting a car on arrival at malpensa?

bobthenavigator Feb 10th, 2013 06:03 AM

Of course---how far are you going?

zoecat Feb 10th, 2013 07:25 AM

If you are in the USA, check kemwel.com and autoeurope.com for options. Be sure to look at deductibles when comparing prices. Both companies offer very good customer service and can answer your questions if you call them.

Be sure to pick up an IDP from AAA before you leave.

More rental and driving information-

http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/car_rental.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/instructions/index.htm

leon2 Feb 10th, 2013 01:19 PM

didnt think i had to be so precise, apparently the term is "walk up" rental.
so has anyone had success in renting a car on the spot as a walk up.
was it cheaper than prebooking?
it would be appreciated if there wre just bona fide replies without the links

kybourbon Feb 10th, 2013 01:55 PM

>>>was it cheaper than prebooking?<<<

Of course not and the replies were bonafide with important links. Your only chance of any cheaper booking will be one of those links in advance.

bobthenavigator Feb 10th, 2013 03:26 PM

Book in advance!
Look at Autoeurope and Kemwel. The size,model, transmission will all be variables. Insurance is the key to many Italy rentals. I would be discerning.

Alec Feb 10th, 2013 03:31 PM

Italy has been, and stil is, one country where pre-booking is always cheaper than walk-up, which can be double or more. So pre-book, always.
Exception may be if you are renting from a small local rental firm away from airports or train stations. But for airport rental, pre-book.

leon2 Feb 10th, 2013 09:06 PM

i ask bobthenavigator, kybourbon,alec and zoecat, who do you work for?
i am looking for experiences from independent travellers only.

clausar Feb 10th, 2013 10:50 PM

leon2
You should appreciate the advice that you are receiving on this forum.
What everybody said so far and i can only confirm it, is that the price that you will receive as a walk up client at the Malpensa airport, will be higher compared to what you can find if you prebook.

As simple as that! We are all independent travelers, and our advice is based on experience, being polite to those who are trying to help you, would be very much appreciated.

leon2 Feb 10th, 2013 11:41 PM

politeness will be appropriate in as far as the facts present.
clausar, do not berate me, that is being impolite.
i ask a simple question and the answers , to me , are suspicious, in that they are vague and have links.
this can be taken as helpful or coercive.
i am not sure, so i ask for a proof.
you answer claiming to speak for all. how would you know about all of the 4 others status as independent, ie, no affiliations.
if i am wrong i apologise , if you are not being genuine, do not post on this thread anymore.
your tone is not accepted by me.
i ask this basic question because ten years ago on my last trip to Europe the walk up prices were cheaper. its that simple.

clausar Feb 11th, 2013 01:55 AM

leon2

If you feel that the posters ,that took the time to give you advice on your question, are not genuine, and only represent the companies that they recommended, you can just click on the small triangle, that is next to the name of each poster and report them /us to the moderators.

zoecat Feb 11th, 2013 05:06 AM

<<if i am wrong i apologise>>

Thank you for your apology.

bobthenavigator Feb 11th, 2013 07:37 AM

So strange---what do you mean?
You do not know the players...buy a program.

kybourbon Feb 11th, 2013 08:21 AM

>>>i ask bobthenavigator, kybourbon,alec and zoecat, who do you work for?<<<

I work for a law firm. Who do you work for?

>>>i ask a simple question and the answers , to me , are suspicious, in that they are vague and have links.<<<

Proves you are not an experienced European traveler or you would know those links are the most reliable with the best prices. Put the names of Autoeurope or Kemwel in the search function and you will turn up thousands of threads.

>>>if i am wrong i apologise<<<

Yes, you are wrong. Your tone is the rude tone. You will not get many responses by being rude to people trying to help you.
If you just want people to tell you that you are right even though your assumptions about price or companies are wrong, you won't find that here.

>>>you answer claiming to speak for all. how would you know about all of the 4 others status as independent, ie, no affiliations.<<<

If you think everyone here is wrong and you are right, why are you bothering to post? Go ahead and walk up and rent. I don't think you could know ten years ago whether a walk up price was cheaper than an advance booking. I'm sure you didn't compare those prices with AutoEurope and others since you seem to be so suspicious.