Reload this Page >

Milan: Antica Locanda Solferino or Antica Locanda dei Mercanti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Liz

(The search function here isn't really working, so I'm asking questions that may have appeared here before.) <BR> <BR>I have confirmed reservations at Antica Locanda Solferino in Milan, but am also interested in Antica Locanda dei Mercanti, though they won't even book a reservation for mid-October until the end of July. I think I remember someone having a probelm with a reservation at Locanda dei Mercanti, though I also read a very positive review. What about Antica Locanda Solferino--has anyone stayed there? Reports around the web describe it as friendly and charming, but maybe a bit--how shall I put it--weathered? (I am reading between the lines, perhaps inaccurately.) <BR> <BR>Thoughts and/or experiences? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Rex

ALdM won't ALLOW a reservation? or sold out? I tried there for September (even though we have now changed our plans away from staying in Milan) - - and we were informed that they did not have any vacancy for September 20 - - just this week. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Liz

ALdM wrote to me in mid June something like "sorry, we are unable to confirm your reservations now as it is during a trade period and we are still awaiting firm dates for our room allocations.... please resubmit your request at the end of July." <BR> <BR>Have you stayed there? I am tempted just to leave it as it is with ALS, as I'm sure it's more than fine. My only concern is old (saggy) vs new (firm) mattresses, which matters to me. The posts about AldM rave about the beds! <BR> <BR>Liz <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Howard

The reason you're all having trouble getting reservations on September 20 is because it's Fashion Week in Milan and rooms are at a premium.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Dayle

We stayed at Antica Loconda dei Mercanti about a year ago & made our reservations many months in advance. The rooms are very small, but the beds & linens are devine! Best of our 3 week trip.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Liz

Thanks, everyone. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Rex

Yes, Howard - - my error for forgetting to mention that. In fact, it was (a) (the?) reason we decided to not stay in Milan, but instead, move on to Florence. <BR> <BR>All those leggy super models everywhere? I'm glad I have these fellow travelers saving me from such an unsavory decision. <BR> <BR>wink... <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Howard

Since I'll be there for part of that week, Rex, I'll let you know what you missed!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Betsy

Stayed at Solferino a couple of years ago and were pleased with its "old Europe" air . . . walk-up, breakfast trays delivered to room (ie, no restaurant) . . . very reminiscent of our first trip to Europe in the early 60's. Also, very convenient location. But if you're not into nostalgia, look elsewhere.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Liz

Betsy, <BR> <BR>Nostalgia is delightful, as long as the mattresses don't sag! <BR> <BR>Liz