Mike's Bike Tour - worth it?

Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Mike's Bike Tour - worth it?

I thought this was a "must" in Munich, since it sounds like a great way to see the city. I keep reading it's a frat-party on bikes. Is my 50-something year-old mother going to be miserable? She's not a big drinker so the beer stops aren't going to be that enticing (not that she'd mind them. I just don't want that to be the focus of the tour) I thought this would be a nice change from a walking tour.

thoughts? thanks in advance!
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

I did Mikes bike tour in Amsterdam, I guess they have them all over. In Amsterdam it was all ages and lots of fun.
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM

We did the Mike's Bikes tour in Munich and it was a lot of fun. The average age of the people on our tour seemed to be around 30, the oldest person was probably 45 or 50. I would have no qualms about taking my mom (56) on the tour - I think she'd have a great time, actually. Being a bike tour, I think it draws a younger crowd than most coach tours, but our tour wasn't crazy or anything. No one was rude or out of line. It was just fun. I suppose every group is different and it is really the luck of the draw.

Our guide was great - very funny, plenty of good info and really got the group involved. We only stopped at 1 place for beer - the Chinese Tower beer garden in the English Garden. We had a nice time sitting out with our sausage, french fries, and beer (some people got sodas). It was a lot of fun to sit around and talk to the other people, find out where they come from, where they are headed and so forth, talk to the guide some more. We also stopped outside the Hofbrauhaus while the guide told us some things, but did not go in.

It was summer time when we were there, so we got the opportunity for a short swim in the river during the tour - not everyone went in. I did, but my husband did not. Then we rode past a meadow where naturists sunbathe and saw a couple naked people. That is about as risque as it got though - LOL.
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I was 45 when I did it. I had a blast!
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hit post too soon!

I did the evening tour in Paris. No beer stops, one ice cream stop and wine on the boat.

Mar 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM

We've been on Mike's Bike tours in Munich, Barcelona, Paris, and a realted company in Italy. We've enjoyed every tour. THe guides are fun and the ages of the groups varied. I'm 44 and my husband is 50. Most tours are easy riding, plenty of stops, great for getting oreinted to the city and seeing a few popular tourist spots. Most folks just enjoy the tour and have a been or wine (depending on the tour). It's a great time for everyone!