Midsummers Eve in Stockholm

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We found out that June 21 is the Midsummers Eve holiday. The hotel suggested that we get tickets to Skansen for the day. Can anyone give me info about the holiday and if going to the park is a good suggestion?
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:32 PM

We went to Skansen on Midsummer's Eve in 2017. If you go, I suggest you buy tickets in advance so you don't have to wait in a long line when you get there. It's very easy to get to by public transport. It's on Djurgården island, which is also home to the Abba Museum, the Vasa Museum, an amusement park, restaurants, and many other attractions. I went to Skansen at the suggestion of a Swedish expat I met here in New Zealand (where I live). It's an open-air museum, so in addition to special Midsummer performances, raising of the maypole, so on, there are also historic structures to look at and demonstrations of traditonal customs and occupations, and a zoo.
Have you looked at Skansen's website page on Midsummer celebrations?
Midsummer at Skansen | Skansen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skansen

I also suggest you book restaurants ahead of time, as many restaurants will be closed, not just on Midsummer's Eve but on the preceding day and weekend.
This link looks useful:
https://www.routesnorth.com/planning...mer-in-sweden/
There's also some useful info on this 2017 blog by the concierge of Stockholm's Rival Hotel.
The Stockholm Tourist: Midsummer Weekend 2017
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and links. I'll check them all to help plan the trip. I realize that many sites and restaurants will be closed. This will be more of a challenge than I expected.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:18 AM

You'll find plenty to do and see. Stockholm is a beautiful city. We were there for Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Midsummer weekend holiday. On the Friday, we checked into our hotel at around noon (flying in from Helsinki), then made our way to Skansen, Later we went to Gamla Stan, walked around and had dinner. On the Saturday, we went to Moderna Museet (Modern Art Museum) on Stockholm's Skeppsholmen island, then took a tour of the City Hall, then had dinner on Djurgården island. We also had time to walk into a few shops, such a Åhléns department store. On our final day, Sunday, we visited the photography museum, Fotografiska, then caught the ferry into the archipelago to Vaxholm island, walked around a bit, then returned to spend more time looking around Gamla Stan for a restaurant for dinner, but the wait times were too long (we hadn't made reservations for our final night), so we ended up dining at our hotel. The weather was wonderful and the nights were long.

Last edited by Diamantina; May 21st, 2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:43 AM

My dream is to visit Stockholm during Midsommar, it must be completely splendid.
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:51 AM

It is a special time to visit Sweden or Scandinavia in general.