Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   middle initial versus middle name (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/middle-initial-versus-middle-name-1111140/)

chnaman Jun 4th, 2016 02:13 PM

middle initial versus middle name

my air ticket has my middle name initials while my passport is spelled out..is this any problem departing thru Rome airport security n /or immigration...are they really strict there.?

bvlenci Jun 4th, 2016 02:28 PM

I never use my middle name at all on air tickets, although it's on my passport.

chnaman Jun 4th, 2016 02:36 PM

thanks this makes me feel more comfortable...I 'm not sure Italian security n immigration is really strict or not...

bvlenci Jun 4th, 2016 02:46 PM

I travel all over the place, in Europe, Asia, and Africa, and I've never used my middle name on an air ticket.

bvlenci Jun 4th, 2016 02:47 PM

Nor my middle initial.

Dukey1 Jun 4th, 2016 02:51 PM

My airline has my full name on file, my Global Entry info, etc., etc., but as I recall when my boarding passes print out my middle initial and my middle name never do.

chnaman Jun 5th, 2016 08:06 AM

Gosh thanks gang...makes me feel better...I have 3 obstacles...getting a boarding pass at checkin...going thru security and then immigration...so already stressed 5 months before leaving...booked thru Vayama.com Never again as the website never prompted the full name as in passport only asked name for billing...then customer service is NIL..always busy no one answers. thru 4 diff numbers ....darn...

So no worries it'll be OK...again makes me feel better. I know I'm taking a chance...

traveller1959 Jun 5th, 2016 08:12 AM

Relax, it is normal all over Europe that middle names are abbreviated.

BTW, in Italy there is no "immigration". The only country that has "immigration" is the USA. It is just a border control with a quick passport check.

Odin Jun 5th, 2016 08:19 AM

<i>..booked thru Vayama.com Never again as the website never prompted the full name as in passport only asked name for billing.</i>

If middle name was a required field, there would be a space for it for you to enter it when making the booking on the website.

StCirq Jun 5th, 2016 08:25 AM

You're not "taking a chance." Same thing happens every day for thousands of passengers. My husband has never, to my kowledge, had his middle name appear on a train ticket, boarding pass, or anything else except his passport. No use looking for something to worry about.

annhig Jun 5th, 2016 08:35 AM

BTW, in Italy there is no "immigration". The only country that has "immigration" is the USA. It is just a border control with a quick passport check.>>

when they check your passport at passport control in Italy or wherever, they never look at your ticket unless there's a problem, which I'm sure there won't be.

What they are looking for is if you show up on some computer stop list, not what your middle name is on your ticket.

Christina Jun 5th, 2016 08:48 AM

People mean border control when they refer to immigration on here, like the OP. Often people use the term customs for that which I find odd, as a lot of people do that who don't travel very much abroad. It is just semantics to say only the US has immigration and not Europe (which of course, isn't true as Europe has plenty of immigration controls and policies, just as the migrants trying to get in).

When you enter the US at an international airport, you have border control and a passport check, also, there is no difference, you don't go through "immigration". The US has an agency that handles immigration and citizenship which is a process, it isn't the people checking passports at the airport. When you arrive at the airport, there are saying saying "international arrivals", with that a sign probably saying US CUstoms and Border Patrol, and then signs pointing directions for passport control for US residents versus others. That's all, it's just like Europe, there is no sign saying "immigration". If you want to get a permanent visa, apply for residency, etc, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services agency handles that, but this isn't an airport issue.

Whathello Jun 5th, 2016 01:10 PM

I have never used my middle name.

My wife has a middle name that is the first name of our daughter. Her passport put her first names in a strange way so it casuses (sometimes) for double checking.

My full name is too long to be printed on my airticket. So I have an abbreviated name and no middle name on my ticket and a full name and middle names that I have never used in my life on my passport.
Besides I usually show my ID in Europe, which has only the abbreviated middle names.

chnaman Jun 6th, 2016 06:56 AM

thank you all for your valuable input..I do feel better

29FEB Jun 6th, 2016 07:12 AM

As Green Bay QB Aaron Eodgers famously spelled "R-E-L-A-X."

And have a wonderful trip~