mid range hotel in London

Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

mid range hotel in London

We will be in London from 5/1 to 5/9 and would like some recommendations/feedback on where to stay from recent visitors.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:29 AM

kenc,

"We"??? Are you two people looking for a double room?
"Mid-range"???? You will get better replys if you state your budget in pounds / BS.

There are several threads on hotels in London. You can get a start on your research by doing a search on this subject ( top right search box). We always stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair, but I have no idea how that fits into budget....probably higher than you would like.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:31 AM

I haven't been there in a few years, but that's somewhat of a personal taste issue. I like to stay in areas others do not and they like to stay in the more expensive, very central areas (I don't stay outside the town or anything, but I like around Gloucester Rd tube stop and Bayswater on the other side of the park). Some people want to be around Covent Garden, Charing Cross,Buckingham Palace or near the British Museum. Depends what you want to be near and why.

Also, what is your idea of midrange? If you just mean for London, hotels are expensive there, but I think I stay in midrange. I do like to search londontown.com and have gotten some decent deals, but in Bayswater, I like this hotel near Lancaster Gate http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/...o/default.aspx
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Agree you need to give us the number of people/bed configuration and a specific amount in either pounds or $.

For me, in London anything less than 200 pounds for a double is mid range.

If you want a lot less than that you need to let us know.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM

What do you consider 'Mid-Range'?

How many people?

>>would like some recommendations/feedback on where to stay from recent visitors.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM

Go to Londontown.com and use the hotel interactive map for prices. Your request for "mid-range" is meaningless - speak in actual expenditure you can and intend to afford.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:53 PM

It is possible the OP doesn't have a fixed dollar set but wants to stay in that level of hotel. I do that myself, actually, as I have certain standards I want to meet in a hotel when traveling to be comfortable. SO I stay in midrange hotels myself usually, but spend what it takes to buy that level, depending on the city (which for me, can vary from 80 euro to almost 300 euro for a "midrange" hotel in various cities).

Star ratings can vary by city, I've found, I am familiar with French hotel ratings and find them pretty reliable -- for London, I tend to go up a star to get something equivalent (also in Mexico, I do that) that I think I will like. So if I usually book 3* in France, I'll book 4* in London.

I do consider the BW Mornington a midrange hotel, it's not posh, but is nice enough (excellent breakfast), and a nice location as it's off the main road so quiet. It has rates about 135 GBP for a double in mid-March, for example. I think that's about midrange. I also have stayed in the Millienium Bailey near GLoucester Rd and it goes for about 131 GBP the same period. I consider that a slightly nicer hotel, myself. It says it is 4*, DK what the BW Mornington is rated as. So that's about 175 euro. I can find hotels like that a bit cheaper in Paris but if they are in the most popular areas, they'd be 175-200 euro also, probably.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 02:39 PM

As well as BigRuss's recommendaction, try:

www.lastminute.com
www.LateRooms.com

You can search by price, area and star rating.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Star ratings don't work in the UK for US/Canadian readers. The star ratings are based upon available amenities, not quality/service/cleanliness. Same HAS to go for Portugal based on the 5-star hotel I stayed at (notsomuch).

And it's not likely the OP "doesn't have a fixed dollar set but wants to stay in that level of hotel" because the OP's question seeks a range - which implies price - not a "level," which would imply mid-quality.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Christina: Of course they know (or should) how much they can spend. "Mid Range" in Manhattan means something ENTIRELY different than mid range in Des Moines . . . Maybe they don't have a "London Mid Range" budget. Should we go to the trouble of recommending some mid priced properties - to find out they are thinking $200/£130 (which ain't in the 'middle' in London)
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry did not specify what I meant by mid range, was thinking around 200 GBP.
Would that be mid range?
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 06:22 PM

Don't worry about it being 'mid-range' or not. £200 is a reasonable budget for a decent but not posh hotel. However you still haven't said what 'we' is - how many are you?

A couple, or a family?

Londontown.com mentioned up thread is a great place to start since many London hotels are very date specific when it comes to rates. So plug your dates/size of your party into the site and you'll see what's available.

W/ a budget of £200 a night you can get a moderate hotel - or a very nice 1 bedroom apartment.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, we are a couple. I will check out Londontown.
Where is best to look for an apartment?
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 07:41 PM

For apartments check out www.vrbo.com and onfinestay.com. You can send your requirements to onefinestay and they will send you a list of properties that match your criteria.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM

These are five nice but not posh apartments on a yacht harbor next to the Tower of London.

I just checked and both 1 bdrms and two of the 2 bdrms are booked for your dates. But there is one 2 bdrm available (unless it has been booked up today and the site hasn't been updated yet)

2 bdrms is overkill for two of you but it is well under your budget. It is very quiet because there is no vehicle traffic. There are many restaurants in the marina, there is a very nice Waitrose Supermarket in the complex, it is close to Tower Hill tube station and the #15 bus stops in front of the Tower and goes past St Pauls and all the way to Trafalgar Square.

Not in the center of things but being near the water and really quiet are big pluses IMO/IME.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/index.htm
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 08:10 PM

OH - and I know you mean May 1 - May 9.

Be really careful when booking a hotel or flat on line -- in the UK (and all of Europe really) your dates would read 1/5 - 9/5. So either spell out the month or do day/month instead of month/day
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 11:24 PM

I also recommend Onefinestay if you like to stay in a flat. It's more like a hotel service in a private flat. They also give you an Iphone with all local information to use during your stay.

For a hotel, look at the Marylebone Hotel; great location just off Marylebone High Street. Rooms are quite small, but it has nice facilities, even an indoor pool. And I love that area.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM

Have had good stays at all of the following which can be had for a reasonable amount: K+K Hotel George (near Earls Court tube), Millennium Bailey (across from Gloucester Road tube) and Megaro Hotel (across from St. Pancras/Kings Cross).
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I will check them all out and post what I decide.
Thank's again.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Think we have decided on the Millennium Baily, any comments? Thank's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO