Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Michelin Maps (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/michelin-maps-114660/)

Joanne Mar 25th, 2001 03:39 PM

Michelin Maps

Need to purchase some yellow Michelin Maps for our drive from Paris to Arles and perhaps Cagnes on the Cote D'Azur. Have looked in travel sections of book stores (Barnes & Noble & Crown) to no avail. Also searched the net, but the maps I need weren't available, and even checked the Michelin site, but couldn't find how to purchase direct from them. Any suggestions for particular maps we might need would also be appreciated. <BR> <BR>We aren't leaving until April 26th, so have time to take care of this if I can just find out a source.

StCirq Mar 25th, 2001 03:47 PM

Joanne: I've had the same problem, and while there are specialty map stores that can obtain these for you, I've found in the long run that the best thing to do is buy them as soon as you get to France. Most bookstores and almost any large supermarket carry the full range of yellow maps. I know you may be worried that in your case you won't find them, but trust me - they are everywhere in Paris. Go to Gibert-Jeune bookstore near the St-Michel métro stop for a huge travel section and more maps than you can shake a stick at - but I've seen the full series at many other Paris bookstores as well. As you drive to Arles, you can also stop at the aires, where they will inevitably have the maps, too.

Ed Mar 25th, 2001 03:53 PM

I've found very, very few yellow series maps in the US anywhere. They're just not generally available. <BR> <BR>You'll find them freely available in France &gt;&gt;in and near the area covered&lt;&lt;. You'll normally not find them far away from the area except perhaps in a very large bookstore (or one specializing in maps), ordinarily only found in a large city. Easily found in the area in statinery stores, newsstands and the like.

cmt Mar 25th, 2001 04:25 PM

You can buy them through mail order from Adventurous Traveler Bookstore. If I can find one of their catalogues that I haven't yet recycled, I'll post the 800 #. If not, maybe they have a website.

RBW Mar 25th, 2001 04:42 PM

Michelin has a catalog and an 800 number that you can order from directly. I unfortunately don't have it anymore but I got the # by emailing the tech support on their site. I hope this helps!

Joanne Mar 25th, 2001 04:44 PM

Many thanks to all of you. Now that I know they are available, we will wait until we arrive in Paris. It will rather cramp our style, however, since we are trying to work out an itinerary with stops and places we wish to visit and would like to have mileages, etc. available. Any suggestions in this regard? Thanks again to your prompt responses.

StCirq Mar 25th, 2001 04:57 PM

Get the red Michelin map of the whole country (Borders or N&N should have this) and plan your itinerary from this. Then, when in France, get the yellow maps and elaborate.

Ed Mar 25th, 2001 04:59 PM

www.mappy.com <BR>www.michelin-travel.com <BR>www.mapblast.com <BR> <BR>All good mapping/route sites. Not as good as sitting in your armchair with the map open your lap, but they'll get the job done. <BR>

cmt Mar 25th, 2001 05:11 PM

http://shop.gorp.com/atbook/srchresk...S7N8P350SRFF9E <BR> <BR>Above is the web address for ordering maps from Adventurous Traveler Bookstore. I have orange and yellow Michelin maps. I know that I bought the orange ones from this mail order company, but I'm not sure whether I may have found the yellow ones elsewhere. However, I think you can special order items that are not listed in the catalogue (or at least that's what the catalogue used to say, but I can't find one now to check).

Lisa Mar 25th, 2001 07:15 PM

Hi Joanne <BR>I ordered mine from amazon.com Postage was about 4 - 5 dollars extra. Comes in a huge box, for one little map. <BR> <BR>I later found it at a Borders near me in a nother area for a lot less than Amazon but for the convenience of Amazon, it was worth it.

Christina Mar 25th, 2001 08:36 PM

I was just out shopping for maps myself tonight and found yellow Michelin both at Borders and Barnes & Noble where I live, for Provence. Anyway, you can buy Michelin maps on Rand McNally's web site (www.randmcnally.com), also from www.voyagerstravel.com

hans Mar 26th, 2001 03:58 AM

I got my yellow michelin map for my trip to Nice at <BR> <BR>www.karenbrown.com <BR>

Rich Mar 26th, 2001 06:16 PM

I bought a spiral bound Michelin atlas of all of France for $20 at Borders which was the price of just 2 yellow maps. It divides France into 190 small maps at the same scale as the yellow maps with the same detail. It definitely seems like a better buy since you get the whole country and it's much easier than folding and unfolding a big map.

John H Mar 26th, 2001 09:36 PM

Hi, Joanne, <BR> <BR>Like Rich (above), I bought the yellow spiral-bound Michelin book of maps for the whole of France (costs $20). Combining this with online directions that you can get from www.michelin-travel.com or http://www.shellgeostar.com/route/travelPortal.asp is the best way to go. Having written word instructions (that michelin and shell web sites provide) and being able to see them on a hardcopy map is an unbeatable combination for not getting lost. And, by buying the yellow Michelin book, you'll have maps for future trips to other areas of France (we did 16 days last year and are doing another 16 days this year).

Joanne Mar 27th, 2001 09:07 AM

Again, thanks to all of you for such great and prompt advice. I think we will find our way through France now! Leaving a month from today and very much looking forward to it.

Paul Mar 27th, 2001 03:23 PM

Had the same problem but solved it. There is no place on web site to order maps but you can find the ones you want. To order call Michelin directly: <BR> <BR>1-800 423 0485 or 1-800 223-0987 <BR> <BR>I have ordered the maps I want and expect to get them shortly. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

bonappetit Mar 29th, 2001 12:34 AM

We looked at a large spiral bound yellow Michelin map of the entire country of France at Barnes & Noble, but left it there, as it was wrinkled and shop-worn. <BR>Went on-line to Amazon.com. Got the same map in pristine condition for $.50 <BR>less, including tax and postage, delivered to my door in 3 days. <BR>Hard to beat a deal like that.

Steve Mar 29th, 2001 03:03 PM

One more possibility. The larger French airports' book & magazine shops often have many of the Michelin maps. Look for one when you arrive.