Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Michael Sanders - author of From Here You Can't See Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/michael-sanders-author-of-from-here-you-cant-see-paris-587199/)

StCirq Feb 1st, 2006 07:44 AM

Michael Sanders - author of From Here You Can't See Paris

Thought you Fodorites might be interested to read this email I got today from Michael Sanders. Might be an interesting tour:

Dear Reader,
You are receiving this letter because you have expressed interest in my books about southwest France. I write today to pass along a few bits of news that might interest you concerning my most recent book, the update of my website, and opportunities in 2006 to meet and travel with me in the region of Cahors.
First, my website update (www.michaelssanders.com) is nigh on complete, and it now includes a few things many of your have asked for: a detailed FAQ loaded with travel information and more personal reflections on my work, essays written just for visitors to the site, recipes from Jacques Ratier, seasonal wine recommendations, bibliographical and recommended reading references, and links to lots of information about the upcoming tours.

Second, if you haven't come across it already, Families of the Vine: Seasons Among the Winemakers of Southwest France was published in hardcover by HarperCollins in mid-2005. In the two years I spent off and on with three winemaking families, I discovered that the story of wine from vine to glass is as much about those who make it, their history and traditions, as it is a tale of yeast, grape, and barrel. I hope you'll enjoy it. The book will be appearing in the spring in Dutch from UitgeverijPereboom and from Transworld/Bantam in England

Finally, many of you have asked about easier ways to discover this somewhat off the beaten track part of the world, and to this I can respond at last, "Come with me!"

The fine people at Domaine du Haut Baran in Duravel, just outside of Puy L'Eveque, will be opening their quite luxurious inn for three week-long small group tours in the spring, summer, and fall of this year. I will spend some time with you in the vineyards and at table, while William and Rosalie Haas, the Domaine's owners, lead you to other discoveries historical, gastronomical, and cultural in the region and take care of your daily needs with a warm and personal touch. So, if you'd like to share a meal with Jacques and Noelle at La Récréation in Les Arques, or discover the vineyards and wines of Yves and Martine Jouffreau at Clos de Gamot, Jean-Luc and Sabine Baldès at Clos Triguedina, and Philippe Bernède at Clos la Coutale at my side, this is your chance.

As always, I truly enjoy your letters and tales of your own travels; do continue to share your stories and to tell me what you think of my work.

Bonnes degustations!

Michael Sanders

cigalechanta Feb 1st, 2006 07:50 AM

I got the same letter from him because I had corresponded with him when I got an early copy.

AGM_Cape_Cod Feb 1st, 2006 07:56 AM

Thanks for posting this. We just finished his book 'From Here You Can't See Paris'. It was doubly wonderful for us since we have been in the restaurant business and love France. I will look for the new book for my husband who loves wine.

Iregeo Feb 1st, 2006 08:07 AM

StCirq, may I have your e-mail address one more time? I would like to ask you a question. Thanks.

StCirq Feb 1st, 2006 08:37 AM

Sure, Iregeo: [email protected]

SuzieC Feb 1st, 2006 09:43 AM

WHEW! Good to know. I enjoyed "From Here..." so much. Owning a small restaurant is a fondly held dream of mine. Now, wine??? Another dream...