Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   michael osman - guide in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/michael-osman-guide-in-paris-585996/)

kntrotter Jan 28th, 2006 01:24 PM

michael osman - guide in Paris

I have read many wonderful things about Michael on this forum and have contacted him. He is available 2 of the 3 days I need him. For the third day he suggested a friend, Scott Emerson, who would fill in for him. Have any of you used him or heard of him? thank you for your help

AnneO Jan 28th, 2006 02:10 PM

My friend met Scott one day she toured with Michael..said he was a great guy. Go for it...if he's even half as good as Michael, you'll have a great day.

Anne

gracie04 Jan 28th, 2006 03:47 PM

kntrotter, may I ask how you contacted him? I would like to use him for my next trip.

Thanks,
Johanna

djkbooks Jan 28th, 2006 06:36 PM

Michael - [email protected]

Beatchick Jan 28th, 2006 11:51 PM

Sally Fowler has used Scott and Michael both - she's says both are delightful!

Gretchen Jan 29th, 2006 03:03 AM

We met Scott at lunch one day. He is a VERY interesting person also. He will be excellent.

kntrotter Jan 29th, 2006 06:20 AM

Thank you all!!

Barb_in_Ga Jan 29th, 2006 07:15 AM

Scott served as guide for my brother and me in June 02 and was truly charming and knowledgeable. My brother can't walk at all, and must rely on a wheelchair. Scott planned an itinerary for us that included the Louvre, the Eiffel tower, the gardens of the Rodin museum, a night at the opera, and other sightseeing/dining opportunities. Scott did his homework and made our trip smoother than it would have been without his help. I highly recommend him!

geeper Sep 10th, 2007 05:46 PM

How long is a typical "day" with these gentlemen?

Gretchen Sep 10th, 2007 05:49 PM

Michael will flat walk/ride you into the ground if you are up to it!! He met us at our hotel at 9 and we finished at a cafe over wine at 5. But if there had beensomething more to see, we would have!!

NicaZ Sep 10th, 2007 06:45 PM

reading this reminds me of my 50th bday trip to paris when we spent several days touring with michael. it was great and i reacll one particular memory of us sharing lunch and tearfully celebrating my cancer survival. michaels mother was a breast ca survivior as well.

geeper Sep 11th, 2007 11:28 AM

So the only day Scott is available for us (Michael is tied up) is our last full day in Paris. We will have a full day and a half on our own before meeting up with Scott and I am curious if it is worth it at that point. Makes a lot of sense to have someone on the front end of a trip, but I'm not sure about toward the end since we may have seen most of what we would want to see by that time (yes i know there is a lot to see in Paris, more than what we could see in 1.5 days)?

GBC Sep 11th, 2007 11:38 AM

Far more. We had three days with Michael and all were great. If we were in your shoes we would be very happy to spend a day with Scott.

Beatchick Sep 17th, 2007 02:49 PM

1.5 days? I spent 16 days last trip to Paris and barely made a dent into what I wanted to see. Going back for 8 more and am positive the list will stay long.

You're going to have a BLAST in Paris!!

seafox Nov 19th, 2007 04:43 PM

just thought I'd revive this with some new words on Michael and Scott. We spent a day and evening with them last week. Michael's tours remain inovative and fun. We met Scott for the first time and I think anyone would be lucky to have him as a guide as well.

sandi_travelnut Nov 19th, 2007 04:57 PM

Does he charge by the hour?

cigalechanta Nov 19th, 2007 05:25 PM

Scott is a charmer, an Opera singer who takes pride in helping out his partner Michel. They are fun, informative and very warm personalities.

MelJ Nov 19th, 2007 05:46 PM

We've used Michael three times--once for 2 days on a trip and again for one when we took our grown kids and 2 grandsons last April.

He's the warmest, most hard-working guy! I marvel at how he manages to do this over and over and stay fresh and make each tour seem personal.

He won my heart when he included a surprise stop at Jim Morrison's apartment for my grown son. We'd never thought of that!

I know several people who've met and/or toured with Scott and are equally delighted.

susanna Nov 19th, 2007 06:31 PM

Without relaying too many negative details, am I the only one out there that has hired Michael and had an unmemorable day with him?

I was with my DH as well as a grown niece and nephew, we all had the same feeling about our day with him. We often share the glowing comments about him that we read here with each other and say "did we have an impostor"?

cigalechanta Nov 19th, 2007 06:45 PM

susanna, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you tell him what you wanted to see, to go?
Did you find him unknowledgable in your choices?