Reload this Page >

Mexico to Europe

Search

Mexico to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Tracy

Mexico to Europe

I've never been to Europe and I'm feeling even lazier than usual about looking up information! I would really appreciate any help/advice.<BR><BR>My first issue is the fact that I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Does anyone have any idea if you can get any cheap flights from here to Europe? We could take the bus to Guadalajara or maybe all the way to Mexico City for a departure.<BR><BR>I am American and my boyfriend is Mexican. We just recently found out that he can get his passport and that he does not need a Visa to travel in most countries in Europe. We have been working our butts off for three years to save money. I am pretty freaked out about blowing our savings on this trip but thrilled at the possibility of actually seeing Europe! <BR><BR>My next problem is I really don't know where to go! Greece and Italy come to mind first. I'm a beach, water type of gal and my boyfriend is EXTREMELY intrested in architecture, history and art. I'm thinking we need a place where I can do the short version of the historical tours and then leave for the beach while he stares and analyzes paintings for 5 hours! <BR><BR>Third problem is that we only have two weeks. Even that is going to push our piddly Peso budget to the max. I don't think we can country hop so would love to know opinions on your top pic.<BR><BR>I looked at a few websites but couldn't find any detailed info on weather. We can either go in the last two weeks of November or we both have to wait until January or February. Are we going to freeze? <BR><BR>Thanks in advance to anyone who replies with advice!<BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:22 AM
Marilyn

1. Yes, you are going to freeze at that time of year. Living in PV I think you will find even the warmest parts of Europe (like Crete) chilly in the winter. Can you wait til spring?<BR><BR>2. With all the restrictions you have set forth, I agree that Italy or Greece would be best. The combination of beach and art/architecture/history is difficult. Maybe you could spend 1 week on each? But you will not be going to the beach in November or January, unless you are a member of the polar bear club.<BR><BR>3. Italy has so much to offer, if you can get over the beach concept. After all, you live at the beach, surely you can enjoy the food, wine, landscape, etc for 2 weeks? In most of the places where your boyfriend will want to look at the art, you can go outside, have a gelato and a stroll around, and meet him later.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Tracy

Thanks Marilyn. I know it sounds pathetic talking about the beach when I live in PV but the Mexican work week is 6 days so sometimes it feels like I never get to lay in the sun! I'll be happy as long as I get to see water at some point in the trip. <BR><BR>I also realize I sound like a moron when it comes to touring museums and galleries. I really do enjoy learning about art, history and culture but you have to understand that when I say 5 hours on one painting, I really mean 5 hours! (It actually happened in a museum we went to in Guadalajara)<BR><BR>If you had two weeks in Italy, what cities would you visit?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 12:36 PM
Leslie

Well, of course, I loved Italy and haven't been to Greece yet, but the others are right about the fact that neither November or Jan are going to give you swimming weather. So, I'd go for other reasons, trying to include beautiful coastline.<BR><BR>With only two weeks, I'd stick to one country.<BR><BR>As far as finding a good airfare, you're going to have to do a little research but it's not hard if you check a few websites,perhaps first researching which carriers are your best bet. For example, www.trip.com or www.qixo.com check multiple sites with only one query. When I gave trip.com the itinerary of Mexico City to Rome between Nov 10 - 24th, I got $871 RT on Air Canada with one stop enroute, total of 16+ hours of travel. From Guadalara, the price was 896, with 2 stops and 21 - 23 hours of travel. You'll have to experiment with this. Be sure to double check on the airline's own website also.<BR><BR>If you want beautiful coast, combined with art, history and architecture, I'd go to Rome and then visit either the Amalfi Coast or go north to Cinque Terre and Santa Margherita Ligure, combined with Florence and Tuscany/Umbria. Also, I'd aim for early Nov over January.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Marilyn

For starters, the biggies are Rome, Florence, and Venice. You will need to decide how much time you want to spend on trains getting around -- Venice is a bit farther away. Myself, I am a big fan of Tuscany and Umbria. <BR><BR>At this point you should do some more research. Search this forum for threads on Italy or better, on specific cities. There is a website that many posters on this forum like called http://www.slowtrav.com. I think you can find a lot of info there. Go out and buy a guidebook on Italy (or get one from the library) and get some idea of what you're interested in. More specific questions will be easier to answer on this forum once you've done some reading. <BR><BR>Will you have the money to rent a car for part of the trip? That is really the ideal way to see all the charming little towns of Tuscany. If not, you may want to concentrate on Rome and Florence, with day trips outside the cities for some variety.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Tracy

Thanks Leslie and Marilyn. Now I have a good starting point for research.<BR><BR>I was hoping for miracles on airfare but approx. $800.00 seems to be the magic number. Thanks Leslie for spelling out the travel time. Yikes...that is really going to cut into our trip.<BR><BR>I wish we could rent a car Marilyn. However, I no longer have a major credit card just a Visa debit card. Is it scary driving there? People are nuts on the roads here in PV. One of the main reasons I haven't driven for 3 years.<BR><BR>We don't really have a library here but I'll see if I can find a used travel book at one of the coffee shops. I'm also going to check out a few more websites.<BR><BR>Looks like I'm going to have to dig through storage for pants and sweaters!<BR><BR>Anybody else have a different opinion about Italy or Greece?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Marilyn

Tracy -- keep in mind that for your purposes of initial research it won't matter if the guidebook you find is a few years old. The major sites will still be the same. Those travel books are expensive to purchase new! Also, the internet is such a fantastic source for information. <BR><BR>You couldn't pay me enough to drive in Rome or Florence, but driving around the countryside is no problem. Usually you park on the outskirts of town and walk in for the day. The car allows you to get off the main tourist track and also to stay later in some lovely places that change a lot after the day trippers leave.