Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mexico City or ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mexico-city-or-1677631/)

ssbbaa77 Feb 12th, 2020 03:22 PM

Mexico City or ?

I know this question is ultimately up to me to answer but I can help with what I am looking for
looking for culture art beauty and opportunities to walk
Traveling solo
trying to decide between Amsterdam and Mexico City
going end of April for 8 days max

would appreciate some hints

Leely2 Feb 12th, 2020 06:02 PM

I like Amsterdam a lot, but for a week in April I'd choose Mexico City. There is an incredible amount to do and see there--plus the food culture is amazing.

Another thing to consider, do you like big cities? CDMX is humongous. Parts of it can feel frenetic/intense. There are definitely leafy, chilled out neighborhoods in which to stay, though.

danon Feb 12th, 2020 06:38 PM

Couldn’t be more different .
I liked CDMXb more than Inexpected..Visited twice.
As mentioned , a huge city, hectic, worst traffic ever, some not so safe areas.,
but it has many interesting parts , several excellent galleries and museums.I found speaking Spanish was very helpful.
Amsterdam is a lovely old city, world class museums, charming canals, relatively small. I think I visited 5-6 times over the years.

Seamus Feb 12th, 2020 07:54 PM

Though perhaps biased by having in-aws in CDMX, if I had to choose between the two I'd go for CDMX. Larger, more urbane/cosmopolitan, fantastic museums and food. Weather likely nicer in April as well. Most likely cheaper, too.

ssbbaa77 Feb 13th, 2020 07:26 AM

Traffic always bothers me. Is traffic intense in Mexico City

Heimdall Feb 13th, 2020 07:41 AM

April is tulip time in the Netherlands, if that’s a consideration.

danon Feb 13th, 2020 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ssbbaa77 (Post 17063209)
Traffic always bothers me. Is traffic intense in Mexico City

It is one of the worst anywhere. A few times I got out of the taxi
and walked to my hotel...it was faster.
I was told not to use metro . There are different taxi companies,
some people prefer Uber, some people have their hotel arrange
for a taxi. Transportation was the only negative I felt about the city.

Christina Feb 13th, 2020 10:12 AM

is traffic in Mexico City intense, ha ha that's funny. It is one of the worst cities in the world, probably, but sicne you are solo, it shouldn't matter that much. I mean, you certainly don't intend to drive there, I hope? If you stay in a quieter neighborhood and can use the metro (or the hopon/off bus), the traffic shouldn't affect you that bad. I stayed in Condesa and it was quiet enough right there. Sure, I suppose it was bad up near the main big avenues (and it is very bad around the main center, also), but didn't bother me that much. I did the hopon/off bus one day when I wanted to go outside of town to Frida Kahlo's house etc and that worked great, enjoyed the ride, Traffic wasn't that bad when we were going to that suburb. When we got back into town, I can't recall my plans, but I did finally ditch the bus around the main square as it was too slow. I took the metro some other days to places.

I would not want to stay in Amsterdam 8 days, I don't think. I haven't been there in years, but I don't think so. You'd have to do a lot of day trips, there are a few good ones, though. I think weather is pretty decent in Mexico City in April, though, so take advantage of that. It's summer period, I think (but it never gets that hot there) but before the rainy season starts, so pretty good. I was actually there during rainy season in July and I was pretty lucky and it mainly rained a lot at night, not during the day that much. You can do some day trips there, also, of course, I booked a day tour out to those famous pyramids, the church where the Lady of Guadelupes cloak/apron is, and as I said, I used the hop on/off bus to go out to Coyoacan to see Frida Kahlo's house. I was really interested in Trotsky's house, actually, although most tourists aren't but you can walk there from Frida Kahlo's. Museo León Trotsky | Arte y Cultura

ssbbaa77 Feb 13th, 2020 01:57 PM

These are all helpful information. Thank you
still thinking about it
day trips around Amsterdam? Which ones are with it and how many days ?

danon Feb 13th, 2020 02:39 PM

We went to Hague..excellent art museum if that is your thing
Another time we went to Belgium ...Brussels and Bruges.
There are various organized tours if you prefer.
You may have some rain in Amsterdam,
MC was plenty hot and humid for me - in February !

baldone Feb 13th, 2020 05:25 PM

As mentioned, traffic for a tourist in Mexico City, is for all intents, a non-issue for a short, 8 day visit. Hard to believe the claim of hot and humid in CDMX in February. Certainly not typical. If you're interested in pre-Colombian artifacts and archeological sites (Teotihuacan, Templo Mayor, Museum of Anthropology) I'd think that'd tip the scales to CDMX. Much cheaper too. World class dining at a fraction of the cost.

ssbbaa77 Feb 13th, 2020 06:11 PM

A lot of great information. Much appreciated...
so I also have a taste for fashion. I won’t be necessarily shopping but I like to look and be inspired. How are of the cities in this regards?
thank you

Seamus Feb 13th, 2020 08:45 PM

In CDMX head to Polanco neighborhood for fashion.

danon Feb 13th, 2020 09:21 PM

Mexico City, is for all intents, a non-issue for a short, 8 day visit. Hard to believe the claim of hot and humid in CDMX in February. Certainly not typical. If you're interested in pre-Colombian artifacts and archeological sites (Teotihuacan, Templo Mayor, Museum of Anthropology) I'd think that'd tip the scales to CDMX. Much cheaper too. World class dining at a fraction of the cost.[/QUOTE]

yes, I was fibbing..that is what we do here. Really?
..27C and humid was plenty unpleasant for me. It is about the same right now, google it.

danon Feb 13th, 2020 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus (Post 17063593)
In CDMX head to Polanco neighborhood for fashion.

Polanco has all the usual designers shops..it is the upscale part of the city, very leafy , nice restaurant., top hotels..etc.
there are also several modern malls
and department stores that are as good as anywhere in Europe .

hetismij2 Feb 14th, 2020 01:17 AM

Maybe this thread should be moved to Mexico?

You have to decide what you want to do and whether you want hot weather or the chance of some rain.
Amsterdam at the end of April is past the peak tulip time, but does have Kings Day. There is no law which says you have to spend your eight days in one place. You could combine Amsterdam with Paris or Brugge, or even London, all favourite Fodorite combos, or you could go off and explore the Netherlands after a couple of days in Amsterdam. There is a lot to see away from Amsterdam.
May 5th is big this year as it is 75 years since liberation. May 4th is remembrance day. SO if your 8 days flows into May that is worth bearing in mind for the Netherlands. Dutch schools have holidays end April/beginning of May, and many people go away then.
Amsterdam is expensive accommodation wise.

baldone Feb 14th, 2020 07:40 AM

Don't need to Google it. Just need to stick my head out the door. It's a sweltering 13 right now. April however is the beginning of the hot season. But at 2250 meters, it's still pleasant.

danon Feb 14th, 2020 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by baldone (Post 17063733)
Don't need to Google it. Just need to stick my head out the door. It's a sweltering 13 right now. April however is the beginning of the hot season. But at 2250 meters, it's still pleasant.

stick your head where you wish at the end of February ( when I was in the city )

suze Feb 14th, 2020 10:15 AM

Amsterdam

mlgb Feb 14th, 2020 03:02 PM

The internet is your friend. Mexico City is not humid in April. It is comfortable to warm. Amsterdam is cool to cold. I was just there for 5 nights, plus 4 nights in Puebla (which I also recommend). I used my feet, Uber, and the Metro. I would recommend Uber to get to the Frida Kahlo museum. The HOHO bus might work on weekends and holidays for getting around, and for the narration and orientation, although it isn't an efficient way to get around during the week. In any likely tourist neighborhood, it's plenty safe and the people are friendly. I've been to both and would pick CDMX. Hands Down.

https://weatherspark.com/m/5674/4/Av...co-City-Mexico

https://weatherspark.com/m/51381/4/A...am-Netherlands