Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Metro del Mar or Mergallina Hydrofoil to Capri?

Jun 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

ATTENTION Capri experts:
Is anyone familiar the hydrofoil transportation from Naples to Capri?

We are trying to figure out which port will be best for us to depart from & co-ordinate to Capri. Mergallina is supposed to be less crowded but prior to July arrivals, not sure of the daily schedules.
We will be arriving in Naples June 28th.
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Hi TG - It's best to depart from Molo Beverello, NOT Mergellina - as departures are much more frequent from there.

You can find timetables on:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. Metro del Mare doesn't operate this route.

Main operators are SNAV, N.L.G, Neapolis, Caremar ...
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Are you staying in Naples or just leaving for Capri straightaway ?
Jun 11th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

HERE IS THE PLAN:
WE are ARRIVING from NY at Naples Airport and will going direct to Capri, where we will stay for 4 nights, then from Capri go to Positano where we will be "staying" for the balance of our trip.

Going from Capri to Positano is easy to "figure out" , but departing from Naples to Capri on that date, is a little challenging to figure out, as our arrival will be June 28, and I have been told that most of the hydrofoils don't begin their "in season" schedule until July 1st, with more frequent and direct trips to Capri.

I was having difficulty finding hydrofoil schedules that specifically include June 28 in their departure schedule.

Jun 11th, 2007, 04:42 AM

You won't have difficulty any more if you click on my link above

As you can see, departures are frequent throughout the day.

This link is kept regularly updated as high season schedules change.

You can re-check it a day or two before you leave to confirm the latest timetable.

Steve
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:11 AM

There are lots of services between Napoli and Capri all year - there are people who commute every day from Capri to the mainland.
As Steve said, the boats are run by several operators.
If you go to Molo Beverello, there is a row of ticket offices and they display the times of their next departure. Just go to whichever one looks suitable and buy a ticket.
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Easy. The express bus from the airport only has 2 stops, piazza Garibaldi and piazza Municipio. Get off at the latter & it's a 5 minute walk to Molo Beverello. Just walk down, check the overhead electronic timetable (which list all the companies' services) & buy tickets for the next one.

We were in Naples last year & went down the day before our departure to note down the times of all the hydrofoils to Ischia. There were so many, run by several companies, that I gave up & decided we'd just get the next one going when we arrived the next day. And this was earlier, on 3rd June.
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Sorry, I should more accurately have said "electronic departures board" rather than "timetable".
Jun 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

STEVE:thanks so much for the GREAT information and website with the timetable.
CAROLINE: thanks for Airport Bus information with the "stop"...good to know!
I also just found out that there are a few great restaurants at the Port at Molo Beverello with wonderful food if we want to stop and "grab a bite to eat" for Lunch prior to the Hydrofoil to Capri.

Can't wait to take this trip!

Jun 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Emily and i walked from the Museo Archeologico Nationale to the Stazione Maritima got our tickets for the ferry and had no problem. We took the ferry to Sorrento the next morning from Capri again no problem. I don't think you will have any porblems. EmilyandJim.info
Jun 13th, 2007, 12:11 AM

Great restaurants at Molo Beverello - are there ? I don't remember seeing any - only a snack bar where we had a beer while waiting for the next hydrofoil. But I'll be there on Saturday (hooray !) and can check it out then
Jun 13th, 2007, 12:17 AM

I can't remember any restaurants on Molo Beverello either, though I'm sure there are plenty in the streets nearby.
Jun 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

perhaps the actual restaurants are "on the street nearby" I will have to get more details.
If I do find out detail, I will post them!
This week is all about "firming up" restaurant reservations!
CAROLINE- enjoy your trip. Will you be in Capri?
TREND GIRL.
Jun 13th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Hi Trendgirl - thanks ! No, we're going to Ischia again as we spent a week there last year & thought it was idyllic. (I love Capri too, though - have been twice before & will go back I hope.) This year it's a week in Ischia, then a week in Venice for the Biennale, then a week in northern Tuscany.

But I'll be doing exactly the same trip I recommended to you from Naples airport - express bus to Piazza Municipio, walk to Molo Beverello, identify next hydrofoil from the electronic departures board, buy tickets at relevant office. Perhaps I should mention that some companies require you to buy a ticket for each large bag/suitcase.

Hope you have a lovely time too !
Jun 13th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Hey Caroline - Off again?

You lucky *#* Good planning - I'm jealous

Buon viaggio

Steve
Jun 13th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Grazie, Steve ! (It is a whole year since my last trip to Italy, though !)

Just a bit apprehensive about getting back from Sant'Angelo to Naples airport in time to catch a flight, though - since last year it took us 7.5 hours to get from Sant'Angelo to our lodgings just outside Positano !! (Walk to taxi rank, taxi to bus stop, bus to Ischia Porto, lunch , hydrofoil to MB, hydrofoil to Sorrento, bus into town, bus to Positano, walk to dock, boat to lodgings !) All the best, Caroline
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Caroline - A whole year? I thought you were down on the Amalfi Coast more often than me

You went via MB?? Wasn't the Ischia-Sorrento hydrofoil running?

Che disastro!
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM

I didn't notice such a service, but may just have have not thought of it I was hoping that the MB-Positano service might have started by then (when we were at MB en route to Ischia they couldn't tell us when it would start); but thought that if not, we'd get the tram to p.Garibaldi then buses. But when we got to MB & saw there was a boat to Sorrento in a few minutes time, we decided to get that.
Jun 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Have your hotel arrange for a car and driver to meet you at Naples airport. He will take you to either Mergellina or Beverello depending on when the next hydrofoil is leaving for Capri. It is expensive, but eliminates the nervousness you will rightly feel about getting around in Naples. I am a NYC/Capri veteran of many years.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for feedback NYC/CAPRI VETERAN!
B
SINCE YOU ARE AN Experienced NYC/CAPRI person..........are there any restaurants that you are familiar with CLOSE TO MOLO BEVERELLO that we would be able to have lunch at possibly prior to actually getting on the hydrofoil?

If all goes well our flights, we will probably be "starving" by the time we claim our baggage and thought it may make sense eat prior to going to CAPRI.

I am actually starting to pack now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO