Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Methods of transport between Cologne and Dusseldorf (in the event of a rail strike)?

Search

Methods of transport between Cologne and Dusseldorf (in the event of a rail strike)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still working on my plan for what to do about the likely German rail strike in August.

One possible part of my plan is to take a budget flight from Dusseldorf to Copenhagen (on Air Berlin). We would arrive at Cologne airport, get to Dusseldorf, spend the night there, and take a flight the next day.

What are the difficulties involved in getting from Cologne to Dusseldorf, if no trains are available (which I have to assume will be the case, given I'm planning for a worst-case scenario)? Are there local buses on this route?

How about cruising down the river?

What would a taxi be? The distance appears to be about 55 km.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM

I took a taxi from the Cologne main train station to DUS the morning after a particularly bad storm had brought down power lines. I believe the fare was about 90 euros. Cabbies were on platforms looking for stranded passengers. I split my trip with another woman headed to the airport.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Can you not fly back out of Cologne/Bonn to Copenhagen? Otherwise there is a shuttle bus service to Dusseldorf station from terminal 2 at Cologne/Bonn according to http://tinyurl.com/2fmkte
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Because of the late date, there aren't any cheap flights to Copenhagen from Cologne for when I want them, but there are from Dusseldorf. Thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure I want to add this level of hassle to the trip, so I am still considering other options, even if it's just staying put (somewhere in Europe, that is).
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Come to Holland
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Having just returned from Europe and being earlier on worried about the strike possibility (we took the overnight from Paris to Copenhagen) and being relieved when it didn't happen, my only thought is: do you have a plan for if the strike does NOT occur or is that even possible?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM

>do you have a plan for if the strike does NOT occur or is that even possible?

Of course it is possible.
The GdL has to vote (next weekend). Only if they gather 75% votes FOR the strike, it will occur.
Meanwhile there is a big public discussion about what is to do, maybe Deutsche Bahn makes some new offer - then the GdL is legally obligated to enter another round of negotiation, without strikes.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

hetismij, Holland is in an earlier part of our trip. My whole flight setup was complicated already for various reasons, but I am definitely considering the possibility of going from Cologne to Belgium, Holland, or France and skipping the Germany/Denmark part.

As to making alternate plans, it's like a logic puzzle.

If I make irrevocable plans that involve cheap flights as substitutes for train rides, then I've lost the chance to take the train rides.

If I don't make plans for cheap flights, and then the trains don't run, the flights will be way too expensive to purchase if I wait until the last moment.

If I don't purchase the rail pass before I leave the country, I can't purchase it once in Europe (at least not without a significant price premium).

If I wait to purchase train fares until I'm sure the trains are running, I will be paying very expensive walkup fares (equally expensive or more so than last-minute flights).

So in short, there's no way to make a fully flexible plan without increasing my expenditures significantly.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

altamiro, maybe the union leader is bluffing, but I did read he expected a 90% yes vote.

If DB makes another offer, how long would that round of negotiations likely last?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Altamiro,

I was asking the OP if it is possible to have a back-up plan in case the strike does not occur.

I am well aware that strikes don't always happen. if you had read my post carefully I think you would have figured that out.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Yes, WillTravel I understand completely what you are saying and that is why I asked about the "possibility."

Once you are committed it is hard to do an alternative without spending more money and I can definitely relate to that.

I hope things work out for you as I know how disquieting things like this can be.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I think that you can only buy the railpass outside of the US, but presumably any decent travel agency should be able to overnight it to you, so you can delay until the last possible moment.

Remember to validate the pass before you use it.

If it's the German pass, you don't have use it for a consecutive number of days. I don't know what your plan is like, but maybe it will turn out that the pass will be worth it even if you use it for one day or two days. Then you can always rearrange the itinerary and travel on those days -- under the assumption that the strike is short-term rather than long-term.

In the event that you want a special high-speed train with mandatory reservations, the pass still allows you to take those trains, I think -- but you have to buy the reservation in advance.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Sorry, I meant to write that you can only buy the pass outside of Germany. You can buy the pass <b>inside</b> the US.

Maybe you can consider having the option of Express delivery to a European destination to buy a few more days extra. I can't imagine that that would be very costly. Probably wouldn't cost more than $50 and you should get the package in 2 days.

I think on some routes Deutsche Bahn offers discounts up to 72h prior to departure.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM

WillTravel, if the worst comes to the worst can you not hire a car? Certainly for the Cologne Dusseldorf stretch. And anywhere else where you can leave the car in the country you hired it in - drive to the nearest border town leave the car and get a bus over the border (or for Holland if you choose the right town walk over?)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Travel Cuts, which basically has the same policies as other travel agencies here in Canada, says to allow 5 business days for arrival of the pass within Canada. It does say the pass can be shipped overseas at an extra cost, but with that plus the five days, I don't think it's a viable option to wait to purchase the pass until I'm out of the country. On the other hand, I can decide to purchase the pass up until the last moment I leave Canada and have it printed out in the travel agent office (that's August 10).

hetismij, I just don't feel comfortable with the hired car option. But that is an interesting point to remember about the point where Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands all meet up.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Try to see if you can order from a US agency instead. 5 days lead time just seems too much when everything can be sent by overnight mail these days.

I assume that the railpass costs the same regardless of where you purchase, so purchase from an agency that will be the most flexible. But of course it needs to be trustworthy.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Assuming I can find a US agency that will overnight the rail pass, this would be helpful in the case where strike is on when I leave August 10, and then is resolved to my satisfaction by August 13, and with me not having made any alternate plans in the meantime.

This scenario is possible, but most likely if I haven't gotten the rail pass by August 10, I will probably just not get one.

The US prices are actually a little cheaper than the Canadian prices, even considering the exchange rate, but some places will not sell to a Canadian resident.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
DAX

I've never taken a bus from Cologne but there is a main bus station at the Cologne train station by the Dom. You can take a bus from there to the Dusseldorf downtown station and then another bus (#727 goes every 20 min) to the &quot;DUS&quot; airport. I have no idea if there is any bus that goes directly from Cologne to DUS airport. Have you considered staying in Dusseldorf instead of Cologne?

FYI, if you're flying Ryan Air,then it's even worse because you have to go to a different Dusseldorf airport. It takes a 2 hour and 30 minute bus ride to get to the Dusseldorf Weeze airport from Cologne.

Hopefully you won't be that unlucky that the strike hits the Cologne S-bahn and the Cologne-Copenhagen line. Nevertheless it's good to explore your options.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
DAX

I just did a quick search on Cologne airport transfer and found this info page about buses. It also lets you access the DUS airport transfer:
http://tinyurl.com/2pzrbj
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM
DAX

I read on the above website that the Duesseldorf bus is # 721 instead of #727. I must have misread it because the way Germans handwrite 1 is like our 7. In any case I found a more complete website info page for you which confirms bus 721:
www.toandfromtheairport.com/dusseldorf.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -