Mestre to San Lucia in Eurocity 87

Old Nov 27th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Mestre to San Lucia in Eurocity 87

Hi.. I have a eurocity train from Bolzano to Venice Mestre tmrw afternoon.. while booking the tickets on Trenitalia we were thinking of staying in mestre hence booked the ticket till there, however our hotel is now in Venice central and we need to go to San Lucia station, the train goes till San Lucia.
1. Can I travel in same train to San Lucia even though I have Ticket only till Mestre?
2. Is it possible to extend the ticket till San Lucia by paying the fare difference

Please suggest.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM

1- NO at least one would think unless there is no price difference perhaps.

2- YES of course one would think - take to ticket window in Bolzano and ask or buy a cheap supplemental ticket for a few euros if not. That is just a few euros and solves the problem - buy it for as EC train. If problems just get off at Mestre and buy ticket for any of the many trains to VSL. But conductor will have checked you previously probably and may have noted Mestre and if sees you're still on probably understanding but you never know.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 11:23 PM

No-one will check tickets between the last two stops, and a sparpreis fare would be the same whether to Santa Lucia or Mestre.

So I doubt you'd have any problem whatsoever just staying on the train one more stop. And if anyone did check tickets, I doubt they'd mind.

Staff are used to this - so many people book to the wrong venice station.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:28 AM

Just stay on the train until the end, which is Santa Lucia. If a conductor checks your tickets (sometimes they do not even check) just tell them you are going to Santa Lucia not Mestre.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:40 AM

Simply ask the train conductor and follow his/her advice. I cannot imagine they would not let you stay on the train till Santa Lucia but me or the other two above who replied have not had the exact issue you have so we can guess but not know what the conductor will say. If it was me I would not think it is a problem having travelled that train route about 20 times so far (always till Santa Lucia). At the worst case, as said above, you will need to pay a small supplement and that's all.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Why cheat? Just buy that supplemental few-euro ticket at Bolzano IMO then no worries. But as others more experienced in that say you should have no porblem anyway - do you have a Sparpreise ticket - if so they are same fare Man Seat 61 above says - but if full-fare just pay the few euro additional in Bolzano.

Why cheat? Even though probably can get away with it? But if have a Sparpreise ticket good to go as same price.

Please tell us how it went.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:38 PM

a sparpreis fare would be the same whether to Santa Lucia or Mestre.>

Sparpreis fare in Italy from one Italian station to another? check www.trenitalia.com for their discounted fares with Italian names. Sparpreis I guess if coming from Germany or Austria but from just Italy you have many other trains to chose from.