Messed up with European Stamp

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messed up with European Stamp

Hello everyone! I have dual nationality, Canada-Poland (EU). Born and raised in Canada, but parents are Polish. Normally reside in Canada.

Background: back in November 2021, I flew to the UK via Toronto > London > Toronto for three days for a wedding, and used my Canadian passport.

So now in March 2022, I have been traveling around Europe for the last few weeks, having entered Europe on my Polish (EU) passport.

I was in Spain last week, and wanted to cross the border into Gibraltar (UK sovereign territory).

Because I was entering Gibraltar, i.e., UK sovereign territory, I thought it would be wise to use my Canadian passport again ó since I had used it for the UK a few months ago.

I went to Gibraltar border control and handed the guy my Canadian passport. He scanned it, flipped through itÖand stamped it. Which I thought was weird, since the UK doesnít stamp, but I thought, ďOk, maybe itís just a Gibraltar thing.Ē

Shortly after, I checked the passport and saw it was an exit stamp from Spain! Seems Gibraltar has no border control, coming or going; only Spain does.

So now, I have an EU exit stamp on my Canadian passport, and literally nothing else. No entry stamp (obviously, since I entered Europe on my EU passport). Passport is quite new and blank except for this EU exit stamp, since Iíve only used it for Canada, America, and the UK.

I crossed back in Spain from Gibraltar on my Polish passport, no issueóthey didnít scan it or stamp it or check or anything, just waved me through.

However, Iím concerned that there is now a ďrecordĒ of me leaving Spain as a Canadian, but no record of my entry as a Canadian. Or worse, that this might create problems for me in the future, maybe even with applying for visas elsewhere (since it will look like I entered a country illegally or something).

Donít know why the officer didnít remark about lack of proof of entry to Spain on that Canadian passport, but who knows.

Anyway, Iím quite worried now about how things will play out. I do not like to advertise the fact that I have dual nationality, but a Canadian passport with just an exit stamp is quite indicative of that, or else of having entered a country illegally.

Thoughts? Or am I overreacting?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 11:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Overreacting, I think. Don't worry about a problem until there is one & consider yourself lucky that with your perfectly legal dual-citizenship you have options most of us don't.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 11:03 AM

I’m surprised that Spanish border control didn’t check that you hadn’t been in Schengen for more than 90 days out of 180, and noticed then you didn’t have an entry stamp. I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t worry about it now. Just don’t use your Canadian passport to enter Schengen again at least until 180 days has passed. You probably won’t need to anyway, since Poland is in both Schengen and the EU, and you will use your Polish passport.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 12:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd not worry about the stamp, it is only paper after all I'd worry a tad about any data transaction. Which is how Schengen works. But not a lot. After all you are a citizen.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
Overreacting, I think. Don't worry about a problem until there is one & consider yourself lucky that with your perfectly legal dual-citizenship you have options most of us don't.
​​​​​​Thank you! Just an accident of birth

Last edited by PierogiGirl; Mar 4th, 2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Iím surprised that Spanish border control didnít check that you hadnít been in Schengen for more than 90 days out of 180, and noticed then you didnít have an entry stamp. Iím no expert, but I wouldnít worry about it now. Just donít use your Canadian passport to enter Schengen again at least until 180 days has passed. You probably wonít need to anyway, since Poland is in both Schengen and the EU, and you will use your Polish passport.
Thank you. I'm surprised as well, I guess they don't check very thoroughly Ö!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
I'd not worry about the stamp, it is only paper after all I'd worry a tad about any data transaction. Which is how Schengen works. But not a lot. After all you are a citizen.
Thank you. Yes, it's true, I am an EU citizen, so there is 0 risk of ever overstaying. Just concerned that some other country I travel to on my Canadian passport will see an EU exit stamp only, and then know I am a dual citizen or something, which I don't like to advertise (except on anonymous forums).
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 05:53 AM

If so concerned just replace it.

Originally Posted by PierogiGirl View Post
Just concerned that some other country I travel to on my Canadian passport will see an EU exit stamp only, and then know I am a dual citizen or something, which I don't like to advertise (except on anonymous forums).
Well if you are that concerned then just replace your Canadian passport as damaged by "accidental wash" fees are not that big and turn around time is fairly quick...