Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Meridiana Airlines - your experience with them?

Mar 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I found a flight from Gatwick to Florence airport with Meridiana airlines - it seems we will have to go with them if we want to fly into florence(instead of Pisa) since neither Ryanair nor Easyjet fly this route.

Anyone traveled with them - good/bad experiences?

On a side note, we will be traveling back to London from Rome. We can either fly back on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Our flight back to the US is on Thursday - would we be cutting it close if we arrived back in London Wednesday morning(if for some reason the flight gets cancelled/delayed)?
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I've never used them but was curious. airlinequality.com has some reviews.
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM

I flew Meridiana from Florence to Barcelona. No problem whatsoever.
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM

I don't understand why you think arriving on a Wednesday morning would be "cutting it close" for a flight that leaves the next day.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

dukey,

I think I'm just being a little paranoid after reading that someone had to fly from Italy to London with Ryanair a day before their trip home, and ryanair cancelled the flight. I just wanted to find out if we were allowing ourselves enough time.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM

It's a good idea to have a backup plan if your flight back to London is cancelled, which can happen with any airline, not just budget carriers. For example, is your intercontinental flight back to the US changeable for a fee (say $200)? The odds are really low that you'd need to do this, but I like to have a plan.
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

willtravel,

I'm not sure what the price would be - we are on mileage tickets.
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM

We've flown Meridiana. Haven't had any problems.
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Anna, maybe take a look at your ticket rules and see what the procedure is if you should be required to change your return date (for whatever reason).

Other than that, consider your options if something goes haywire with the flight that is supposed to leave on Wednesday morning. For example - you could probably get last-minute tickets on some other airline to some destination in the UK for a significant price, but you'd still be able to do something (assuming there wasn't some sort of Italian strike that shut down flights, but I think those are usually not so extreme). I know this is considering worst-case scenarios, since you would likely be fine in almost all instances (but might have to pay a lot if it isn't fine).