Men's attire for touring

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Men's attire for touring

I realize that "style" questions usually pertain to the fairer sex, but apparently at my advanced age (just north of 60), I have some questions. I'm not concerned about wearing jeans, slacks, or shorts during daytime touring (DW despairs of my lack of concern), and I have no qualms about wearing sandals (although I will take real shoes simply to appease DW), I am concerned about head attire. In the US I routinely wear golf/baseball caps to protect my balding pate from the scorching sun. Although I'm sure that I will be identified as an American tourist as soon as locals spot me, I don't wish to offend at the drop of a hat, so to speak. What shall I do? We'll be in Italy (Rome to north of Rome) and Spain (Andalusia and Madrid) in September and October this year. What kind of hat would be suitable? Any other advice?

TIA,

Sam, aka Knoxvillecouple
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:24 PM
P_M

Wear whatever makes you the most comfortable and do not worry about standing out as American. Nobody will be offended by that.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM

They will be on to you as a tourist no matter how you dress. I have noticed that we Americans tend to be more casual dressers that those in other countries. No need to go overboard with coat and tie but stay away from t-shirts that have funny sayings.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM

I have a priceless photo of an Italian gentleman in Positano. He is wearing a dashing beret. I bet you could pull one off too! Ciao!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Eh, I think I say be comfortable. I've always heard don't wear caps/shirts with American sports team logos on them - so you could compromise and wear a more generic ball cap. But last summer in Spain I tried to ask directions from a young man at the Alhambra wearing a Redskins hat, and it turned out he was Spanish. And then in Rabat I saw a guard at the Hassan Tower wearing a Yankees hat. So yeah, wear what's comfortable to you.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Consider the Plaid Tilley.
Stylish, comfortable, and covers the neck.

http://www.tilley.com/T5CN-Tilley-Plaid-Hat.aspx
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When you get to Rome, visit the Ferrari store on Via Tomacelli and buy yourself a souvenir:

http://store.ferrari.com/en/accessor...ies/caps-hats/
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Repeating here my answer to your same question on the other thread:

This is a very personal opinion, so if you disagree that's fine with me. However, I like to see adult men dressing like adults when they're out and about in public. I think baseball caps are fine for the beach or the ball park or the golf course or riding a bicycle. Otherwise, I think adult men, grown-ups, look ridiculous in them, like they still think they can pass for kids, despite the grey hair, paunches, whatever else gives it away that they are no longer boys.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM

No one will think you are anything but an american - so wear a baseball cap if you want to - but ONLY outdoors. Wearing a hat indoors - and especially in a church - is totally inappropriate.

As for shorts - adult europeans keep them for resorts or athletic activities. You can't wear them in churches in Italy (either officially - turned away at the door - or unofficially - local churchgoers are likely to complain about your lack of respect). If you choose to wear shorts other places in cities - no one will stop you - but if I were your wife you would be doing it alone.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Here's a link from Fodor's: http://www.fodors.com/news/story_5535.html
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Well I have my official tourist outfit...clean t-shirt (partial to Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts from the various places I've been...although I have a great one from Insbruck with what looks like the symbol saying there is no Heart Rock Cafe in Insbrook)m, clean blue jeans (no holes), qhirw anwKWEA ns my vAWVll xP RO PEORWXR MY EWXWSINF Hielinw deom rhw aun...for evenings I might switch my t-shirt for a knit shirt. Yes I take the cap off when visiting a church or cathedral and quite frankly I don't give a you know what about how others feel about it. But may I suggest you not wear the baseball cap backwards as if it is a rally cap.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Consider a snappy looking straw fedora. Light, airy and will give you a sense of style.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Where what you want but do consider that although the ball cap is protecting your pate from sun, it's not protecting your neck and ears.

Get a nice hat with a brim, either a fedora or a panama. My husband has worn a brimmed hat for years and I used to be able to pick him out of a crowd. I think he started a trend because they are really popular now.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 02:32 AM

I have a Borsalino straw hat... a class apart ;-)
http://www.chapellerie-traclet.com/e...straw-hat.html
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:18 AM

No one cares what you wear, and you don't have to care what they think if you don't mind being an occasional source of amusement or pain to others. It won't hurt you.

This is true in many large cities and some sophisticated smaller ones. It is certainly true in New York, and you could wait a long time for a table at Galatoire's in New Orleans in shorts and a baseball cap. If you are happy eating at Acme Oyster House, no problem, and you will be a lot more comfortable than in a starched long sleeve shirt and jacket. It all depends on what matters to you.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:59 AM

My husband travels with this hat http://www.coolibar.com/02500.html

It really is packable and the mesh keeps it cool. The issue is carrying it inside or finding a place to put it in a restaurant.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:00 AM
ira

Hi kc,

>I don't wish to offend at the drop of a hat<

Take your hat off indoors.

Also, after you get there, see what others are wearing and get one.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:22 AM

I always go on the theory that if a teenager is the person most likely to be wearing it then don't.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM

Nothing is so smart as a panama in Summer, but there are vendors with carts on the streets (in Rome anyway) with all kinds of inexpensive hats as they are very IN now for youth.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:46 AM

Wear what is most comfortable for you. I have been to Europe 16 times and do not remember a single situation where a hat was an issue, either for us or looking at others. Try to avoid school emblems, etc. A plain ball cap is fine. Straw hats are difficult to pack and to deal with while inside. You don't want to be consious of your hat as you make your way through the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -