Men's Walking Shoes?

Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Men's Walking Shoes?

We men walk, too, but as much as 90% of the shoe recommendations seem to be for women. My wife is quite happy with her shoes for our three-week Central Europe trip in July.

Here’s the quick history:

Summer 2000—My regular daily office wear Church basic oxfords (on the basis that I wore them comfortably in the office for eight or ten hours a day) [black one day, brown the next} for 18 days in Italy, Austria and Germany. Result-very sore feet from pounding the pavement and cobblestones 8 hours a day.

Summer 2001: Traded off daily brown and black Ecco shoes (recommended by co-worker) for 16 days in Paris and London. Very comfortable and I continued to wear them in the office for two or three years when I returned.

Summer 2004: I purchased new Eccos in exactly the same model and size (which felt right when I tried them on in the shoe store (I had, however, lost about 80 lbs on the Atkins diet). I walked for about 20 days in the UK (small towns and London) and developed blisters or near-blisters each day.

Summer 2005: I didn’t go anywhere but sustained a stress fracture on left foot from overzealous home improvement and wore a “cam-walker” for eight weeks. A few weeks after the cam-walker came off, I sustained a “strained” right foot from depending on that foot while the cast was on the left foot.

Summer 2006: I’m booked and otherwise reasonably ready for this Central Europe trip but my doctors (one a GP, the other an orthopedist) will only advise me that I should wear “supportive” shoes (both said “not Eccos”) with some arch in them. I hate to shell out the $600 or so for Mephistos, and my wife suggests Brooks Addictions (which is what she wears) when not at work as an academic (she’s not a shoe expert).

Other than I should write some long posts, I’m certainly open for any men’s shoe suggestions (by which I mean, about men’s shoes, not necessarily only from men).
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM

Fella, let's face facts, you got some real bad feet, maybe worse than mine!

Go to Walmart and get you some good $19.95 work boots for daytime support and some black high top basketball shoes for evening wear!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Two things I should have mentioned:

I am wearing, conventional, supportive leather oxfords (as recommended by the docs), but my left foot does become a bit tired and sore starting about mid-day, so some cushioning, along with a supportive arch) would seem to be in order (my office shoes have real arches but are not cushioned).

We expect to attend at least a couple of classical concerts and one or two “nice” restaurants so I want to continue my practice of wearing brown and black “business-looking” shoes (e.g., the Eccos were the Seawalker model, which can pass in business or for an evening out reasonably well), rather than shoes that are or are obviously like running or tennis shoes.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Prada Sport - their shoes all have a rubber sole, but some are smart enough to pass for most non-formal occasions. Pretty comfortable too!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

degas, how really know! Those $20 chinese wal-mart work shoes are among the best quality I've ever bought. The sole is ugly (yellow! and black) but the days I could buy such quality in Europe are long gone. Perfect standard shoes for office use (suit and tie) in Germany.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM

Look at Rockport walking shoes (I think World Traveller or World Touring model). Lace up they are available in blk & brn leather, wide widths. I use them casual and semi-formal occasions.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM

My husband walks all over Europe in his Rockport wingtips with his orthotics. Is there any chance you could get orthotics?
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM

Hmmmmm. I would give Ecco another chance. I wear them all the time and have VERY happy feet. I think your second experience with them may have been a fluke.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM

Mephistos cost nowhere near $600 in the US. A few models run in the $300 range but most are less than that.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM

My Rockport Rocksports have carried me through a lot of miles comfortably. And they look nice enough if you want to go to a better restaurant, attend church services, etc.

But I've found that some brands work for some people and not for others.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM

mohun -

I have Rockport (Bruce) walking shoes and like them. I also have a pair of Keen Venice waterproof closed-toe sandals but they feel like supportive shoes. Don’t make a purchase until you try these two!

VS
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hi
I recently bought a pair of Clarks travel shoe.It feels great. I also have ECCO but the Clarks feel even better. I bought it at a Bostonian-Clark outlet store for about $70.00. My feet are terrrible and I'm also a diabetic.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Neopolitan

Well I have some foot problems too and I always wear a hard insert prescribed by my foot doctor. When I first went to him I was wearing a pair of Eccos and he said, "well, you're wearing the best shoes you can wear". And he even sells othopedic shoes!

I swear by my Eccos -- particularly the black "cross" model which I wear for dress in Europe or in New York where I also walk. My good dress shoes stay home for when I drive to special events.
I also have great Ecco hiking boots and Ecco sandals.

When we went to Greece and Switzerland in the same year along with places like Paris and London, I took four pairs of shoes -- Ecco Cross in black, Ecco casual tan, Ecco hiking boots, and Ecco sandals.

Incidentally I haven't seem my foot doctor now in about 2 years!

I do have a closet full of walking shoes from Timberland, Eddie Bauer and others that I've purchased in moments of frugality not wanting to splurge on new Eccos. There they sit.

Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM

I'd look at Clarks and Irish Setters (made by Red Wing), both have been very good for me, and my feet aren't particularly great (different problem from you, tried to fly at the age of about 6, broke my ankle, never really healed right). Also New Balance, some of their shoes can be worn quite acceptably during the day, though less appropriate at night in most cases.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

New Balance does make a decent looking walking shoe (black, brown, tan or white), but the real benefit of NB is their variety of widths. As we get older our feet flaten out, and wider shoes are called for. Most NB shoes have a 2E and a 4E that seem to do the job. I average three to six miles of walking on sidewalks every day, and I haven't had any issues with my feet. Here's a web site that shows men's and women's NB walking shoes: www.nbwebexpress.com, and most models are less than $100.
Mar 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM

No one has mentioned SAS shoes. They're only sold in their own stores. They come in lots of sizes you won't find with other shoes-like 12½ Slim. Their "Time Out" line looks like a Rockport in black (or other colors), but fits and feels better.

Although many swear by Ecco, mine never fit quite right --too wide and stiff--and were never comfortable for long walks.

The SAS's are instantly comfortable. I wear mine almost daily at home and on trips. I have two pairs: one for "good" and one for everyday. They have other styles too, but none are very stylish. I've decided to give up fashion for comfort.

Mar 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I've been wearing Bass waterproof shows for the last 10 or so years when going to Europe.

Are they stylish? No.

Are they comfortable? Yes.

Has anyone in Europe commented? Yes, one of the attendants at Cimetiere de Montparnasse said they looked like boats - so my wife translated. But who believes her translations?