Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Melun, France, as a destination near Paris?

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have evening tickets to a special opera event at Chateau Vaux le Vicomte near Paris in September. The closest town appears to be Melun to which you can take the RER train from Paris, which seems big enough to have a tourist information office and even a museum. (I got this from the Ile de France tourist information website and the chateau's own website.) Any ideas for hotel, restaurants or even whether the town of Melun is pleasant enough for an afternoon's walk around? We were thinking because the opera is in the evening and we won't have a car, we would stay the night after the opera there. If it makes a difference as to your comments, it will be a Saturday. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Melun is not especially charming, but it isn't bad either. Not much in the way of hotels. Just south are Fontainebleau, Barbizon. I will be staying at Hotel Pavillon Royal (3-star, moderate price) in Bois-le-Roi (between Melun and Fontainebleau) next weekend. When I return from my trip, I will try to remember to repost to you. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hotel.lepavillonroyal/
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Check the train schedules, because the regular train from the Gare de Lyon can take a lot less time than the RER.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Hi

RonZ is right about the regular train.

We stayed in Fountainebleau at the L'Agile Noir and took the train from Melun into Paris for day trips. Stay in Fountainebleau or Barbizon as vedette said.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM

I love Vaux le Vicomte and envy you! Have you tried a word search here on Fodors? I distinctly remember some good threads on that topic in the past.

I would prefer staying in Fontainebleau if feasable...so much history and great for walking. Correction tho on Ron's typo in case you're interested in that hotel/rest: He stayed at L'AIGLE Noir. Sept. should be a great time to see the grounds, too.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Sorry about the spelling screw up! I think there is also a Hotel Napoleon in Fountainebleau. It looked even nicer than L'Aigle Noir. L'Aigle Noir also has a shuttle van! I would check with them to see if they can give you a ride to and from the chateau. Vaux le Vicomte is beautiful. Enjoy!