Notices

Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna

Jun 25th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna

Hi

I have read a number of conversations on the Melk day trip from Vienna, however I have a couple or questions (forgive me if these have been answered in another thread).

The plan I've put together so far is:

- Depart Vienna for Melk Abbey by train (plan to be at Melk by just after 9am for when it opens)
- Walk around the abbey/gardens
- Catch the 11am boat to Spitz
- Pick up some bikes and cycle from Spitz to Durnstein
- Spend some time in Durnstein walking around the town and walking up to the castle ruins
- Bike from Durnstein to Krems
- Train Krems to Vienna

(Our back up plan if the weather is not obliging is to stay on the boat to Durnstein and then take the bus to Krems).

My questions are:
- Is the above achievable (forget to mention we're in Vienna in late September)?
- Should we bike south or north of the river? I'm visualising cycling through vineyards.
- Does one side have any Heurige's we could visit (perhaps one side has more than the other)?

I welcome any suggestions or recommendations to the above.

Thanks.
Rellie
Jun 26th, 2016, 06:15 AM

Hopefully, some information to answer your questions.

1. Yes, your route is achievable. In late September the vineyards will be gorgeous (in good weather).
2. Cycling the north bank of the Donau will put you in the vineyards and postcard perfect small villages; the south bank will be through fruit trees and views of the vineyards from across the river.
3. There are more heurigen on the north bank.

You may also want to consider reserving your bicycle in advance, and purchasing your train tickets at least the day before, especially if you are cycling on a weekend.
Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fourfortravel. I had a look around and will look to pre-book our bikes via Next Bikes.

Search this Thread