Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Megabus from London to Edinburgh. Any scenery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I am heading from London to Edinburgh in late November. I plan to fly one way with Easyjet and maybe return by Megabus but wonder if there will be any scenery along the way or if it will just be a motorway? I am not fussy- a few trees and the occasional interesting building are enough to be classified as scenery for me! I love the English countryside anyway but still wonder if anyone else has done this trip. It is presently only 5 GBP one way but, if it's really dull, I may consider flying both ways.Any other suggestions would be most welcome.Thanks very much-Kerry.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM

I wanted to throw out the possibility of taking the train, in case you hadn't considered it. Flying may not be cheaper, and almost certainly won't be faster, than taking the train; you need to add in costs and time to get to and from the airport and get through security (not to mention add-on fees for luggage, etc., depending on the airline). The train takes you city centre to city centre. It won't be £5, sure, but if you buy in advance it may be a better choice than flying. The trip is about 4-5 hours unless you take the sleeper train.

There is some nice scenery on the train trip between Edinburgh and Newcastle. Not sure if the motorway runs more or less the same route.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Well motorways go through countryside like any other road. And some megabuses are double-deckers, though I don't know in this case.

Which said, this isn't the most scenic road journey in England - though it's slightly nicer in its short Scottish stretch.

It's the M1 to the Meadowhall mall in Sheffield: if English countryside's a novelty, there's 3 hrs of it - but it's about as dull as it gets, and there are a LOT of other cars between you and it. M1/A1(M) to Newcastle, with a couple of stopovers at our less lovely service areas: countryside here's different (less wooded). North of Newcastle, there are a few bits where the road goes close to the sea, and you're closer to the hedges etc of the Lothians.

The good news is: if you're writing a trip report, you won't - however inaduequate your vocabulary - be stuffing it with inanities like 'awesome' or 'magical'
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM

"Not sure if the motorway runs more or less the same route"

Well, it's the "more or less" that matters.

The routes aren't that different - but they are different. To some of us, the nice thing about the train is the close-up views of Peterborough, York and Durham cathedrals, and the slightly less evocative views of Grantham and Doncaster parish churches. The only equivalent human construction visible by road - apart from Meadowhall Mall - is the Angel of the North on the A1(M): one of those huge ugly erections (like the Eiffel Tower or London's horrible Eye, only the Angel of the North isn't even a useful platform for looking at the countryside from) that it's fashionable these days to call iconic.

Actually, I'm being uinfair. The bus drives through Newcastle, and you see its bridges, which are huge, not ugly and jolly useful.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM

<<< Which said, this isn't the most scenic road journey in England - though it's slightly nicer in its short Scottish stretch. >>>

The journey through North Northumberland on the A1 is quite pleasant with views over Lindisfarne and the coastline around Bamburgh. Apart form that though it's boring as hell and unless you are especially cheap / masochistic there is nothing to recommend it over the train

And frankly, unless you are already in the vicinity of the airport there is little to recommend flying over the train as the total travel time is similar and the hassle factor is far higher
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM

What time do you intend travelling? The countryside won't matter if it is dark and it gets dark early in November.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,
The train is definitely appealing even though I am cheap and masochistic! Using this site https://www.raileasy.co.uk,
I found a single fare for £19.55 if I am prepared to leave very early and this compares very well to Easyjet's £30.

Like Eurostar though, I have to wait to make a booking as fare prices are not released yet and I am using September's fares as a guide. I assume that won't be a problem though as I should think November would be a quieter month? Anyone know for sure?
Thanks again. I don't know why I didn't consider the train sooner. It certainly would be less hassle so I am grateful to you all for steering me in the right direction.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM

I don't know anything about raileasy, but that fare sounds good for a London-Edinburgh trip. (Most people use nationalrail.co.uk to find tickets/schedules, and that site directs you to train company sites to actually purchase tickets. I'm finding &pound;37.10 return for late September - honestly I'd be tempted to do that rather than worrying about the longer bus ride on the way back.) When comparing to Easyjet, also remember that you need to add in transport to/from whichever airports the flight uses. Makes the train an even better deal.

But yes, you can't book until three months in advance. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Don't go on the bus. Only students, dole moles, northerners and other wrong 'uns go on the bus.

Shell out for the train.

ps the 'plane's rubbish too.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Please don't use Raileasy - they charged for booking unlike other websites like www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com which will give you a DISCOUNT on East Coast mainline fares and you'll find that fares between London & Edinburgh start at £12
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM

You're getting good advice here. Much better than I could give! But I just wanted to jump in to say that my son and I took the train from London to York, York to Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. While the London to York part was nothing special, we very much enjoyed the trip from York to Edinburgh! Very nice scenery along the coast and we enjoyed passing through Newcastle and seeing the little villages along the way.

We'd been advised to order our tickets 8 to 12 weeks out. We did so and got a very good deal. GBP 42.80 for all four tickets.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Great info-you amazing people!

Checked out http://tickets.nationalexpresseastcoast.com Total cost:
£33.00 return. Sounds good!

CAPH52 , Do you remember where you could book so far in advance? Looking forward to the scenery-it sounds lovely!

Cholmondley_Warner - Had a good laugh at your comment. Brings back memories of a 6 week bus trip through Europe for under 35's many years ago - Despite being with a six foot husband, you couldn't walk down the aisle of the bus without being molested!
Sort of Fun ?!!!

Had a quick check of your suggested sites and notice that one offered discounts to disabled travellers but only UK residents.I hold a Disability Pension Card from Oz.(not for mobility problems) Anyone know if any rail companies that recognise Oz pensioners?

Any advantages in travelling on certain days or times that you might know of ?
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Disability discounts are given against a Disabilty Railcard, which works on more or less all trains.

The criteria for this are complicated, and are mostly about qualifying for state disability benefits. Demonstrating this needs specifically designed confirmation from UK authorities. If you don't live here, it's really impratical to obtain this confirmation.

http://www.disabledpersons-railcard....rd#AmIeligible

Since the card costs £24, and only gives a 33% discount, it probably isn't of any use to you anyway. But look at the other Railcards on that site to see if your travels might be able to use one of them.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Kerry, I used the national express website that you linked above. I bought the tickets on 3/27. We used the London to York ticket on 6/16, the York to Edinburgh ticket the next day.

Not that it really makes any difference, but we bought one way tickets as we flew from Edinburgh to Dublin and home from there on 6/21.