Meeting place in Venice and/or Florence

Jan 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Meeting place in Venice and/or Florence

Let's say friends who are independently traveling in Europe have plans to meet in Venice or Florence (not sure which one yet.) Nobody will have a cell phone, none of us have every been to Venice or Florence. Is there a meeting place that would be 100% confusion-free, like if were we to say: "I will meet you at 2PM on so-and-so date at______. Where would that place be in either city???? (I have done this several times in the past, like meeting in by the Dam in Amsterdam or in front of Notre Dame, it always worked!)
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM

In both places, I'd pick the famous bridge -- top of the Rialto in Venice, and middle of the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Those are can't-miss spots.
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM

At your or their hotel would seem to be the easiest. If you miss each other, you can leave a message. If there are changes, there's always email. Just agree to check the day before or day of the meeting.
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I used to do this w/out trouble too, many younger years ago, but I agree with the hotel meeting idea (above). Once when I had made plans to meet a friend in Cairo, thank God it was at a hotel...I was a day late and this was pre-cell phone/email days, so it could have been a bad experience.

I met friends at our B&B in Rome last year, and since we were all coming in from different places, we just left notes at the B&B desk. Worked great.
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I can think of two places, off the top of my head, that 'should' not cause confusion. These are alternatives to the 'meet at the hotel' options, which are probably the best option.

In Venice, outside the main train station (Santa Lucia?), just at the bottom of the steps is a September 11th memorial, a replica of Michelangelo's Pieta, with an American flag draped over Jesus, it's encased in glass.

In Florence, we met at the McDonald's across the street from the Santa Maria Novella train station.

Good luck!
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM

The bridge idea is a good one, but "the middle" of the Ponte Vecchio could be confusing. The top of the Rialto, however, is pretty darn hard to miss.

But still, the best idea is the hotel where the desk can take or deliver a message.
Jan 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
hdm

I agree that the hotel is the best idea but barring that, in Venice I'd suggest at the base of the clock tower in St. Mark's Squre. In Florence, at the front of the Duomo, more specifically at the middle (main) door.