Meersburg/Bodensee for family?

May 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Meersburg/Bodensee for family?

Hi,

With 2 adults and 2 young children (6 and 3), we are thinking of staying in/around Meersburg for about 10 days.

Does anyone know if there are self-catering apartments? Would there be supermarkets? Also, should we rent a car at Friedrichshafen airport or do that in Meersburg?

I'm also grateful if someone who has been to the thermal spa can share experience. Any other activities for children you can recommend?
May 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM

For a listing of vacation apartment (Ferienwohnungen) in Meersburg, go to http://www.meersburg.de/ceasy/module...p5?cPageId=300 and select "Ferienwohnungen". I noticed that many of the listings include websites and email addresses.
May 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM

From the same page, click on "Freie Unterkünfte" to search for free (available, not kostenlos) accommodations. In the box select Ferienwohnung.
May 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM

"Supermarket"! In about 16 weeks of travel in Germany, I have only seen 1 store that could be rightfully called a supermarket, but I've seen many local grocery stores. There will probably be one of those with walking distance of your Ferienwohnung.

I would not rent a car unless that was the only way to get somewhere. There is probably plenty of local transportation. You can check this out on the Bahn website, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

I have not been to the Therme in Meersburg, but just a warning, every Therme I have ever been in in Germany (3) was coed and what they call "Textilefrei" (clothing free).
May 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Hi W9,

We spent a week in Meersburg last June taking a language course. There are lots of self-catering apts but I can't recommend a specific one as ours was solely for our language class. The price was quite reasonable at around 50 Euros for a double room with kitchenette and bathroom and breakfast included. Not fancy but extremely clean and convenient.

There is a large supermarket and a few smaller ones nearby to the historic Meersburg area.

I was at the Meersburg thermal spa on Ladies Day. It is new and quite nice with a pretty setting on the lake. I made the mistake of wearing my swim suit in the sauna. Scandalous by German standards, so do not do that!! It's a bit interesting with tokens for entry to the general pool area, where bathing suits are worn, and then separate entrance for the spa area, where they are not, but I'm sure someone will help you out with where to go and what to do. I think I brought my own towel but I don't remember. You should check...

There is every sort of sauna, plunge pool, etc that you could desire as well as a path to the lake for a post-sauna plunge. You can check the website for details on ladies and mixed days, entrance fees, etc. There are lots of little ones tumbling around in the water with mom and dad. I think children are allowed in the spa area with a parent on co-ed days but it is full coed nudity. Probably for your kids not an issue - I have adolescent girls and that is ewwww for them Plus, my husband would not be comfortable with that either...cultural differences...

There is also an outdoor pool area right on the lake that would be delightful in warmer weather.

www.meersburg-therme.de/

I have heard there is a new thermal spa in Konstanz as well which is just a short ferry ride across the lake from Meersburg. I have not been, but the Germen women I met in the area were anxiously awaiting its opening.

There is an old castle/fortress in Meersburg but I never got to see it except from the outside. I did visit the small art museum which had a "watercolors" exhibit which turned out to be water scenes from the Bodensee area not watercolors the medium, but was quite nice and a small museum your children could be patient in. I'm sure there is a new exhibit there now.

There are lots of restaurants and cafes - I would avoid the ones right on the water as they are quite touristy and more expensive. I'm sure you can get advice on where to eat through your accommodations.

I'm not in the market for them anymore, but I do remember a few playgrounds scattered about - just not sure what condition they were in.

There is bike riding and vineyards and such in the area but we didn't have time to do that so I can't help out with that.

Sorry, also can't help with the car rental but I would guess do it at the airport...

Have a good time!

gruezi
May 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM

During our bike ride from Meersburg to Lindau, we saw tons of vacation apartments for rent. "Ferienwohnungen".

Gruezi has given you good advice. I thought the area between Friedrichshafen and Lindau was actually nicer for children if you're considering staying a week. Flat, quaint and child-friendly. Less traffic too.
May 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Meersburg is a lovely town and would be a nice base for exploring the region. Consider taking the ferry across to the garden island of Mainau for a day - make sure the weather forecast is favorable. The gardens are incredible and I think your kids would enjoy the boat ride and running around the gardens for a few hours. I believe they have some child-specific areas that I didn't explore, including a sort of petting zoo, as well as a fascinating butterfly greenhouse.

I've taken a German tour of the castle in Meersburg, which is considered the oldest continually-inhabited castle in Germany. You might be able to get an English tour. Without the tour you can still explore the lower bits of the castle on your own, but the tour takes you up the tower for great views of the Bodensee. The castle has an interesting weaponry collection as well.

You should be able to find a few supermarkets in the area - most aren't as big as what we are used to in the U.S., but will suit your needs just fine. Some of the big chains to look for are Aldi, Neukauf, and Kaufland. There's probably a weekly outdoor market in the center of town as well.

Meersburg has a very good website:
www.meersburg.de/ceasy/modules/cms/
May 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM

re: Mainau-

I was just there a few weeks ago, There is a playground, a miniature train, pony rides for the kids and some beautiful gardens to stroll for the adults...

g.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for information. It sounds really promising. I'm hoping to post after our holiday.