Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Medium paced tour to Europe with elderly @ £20000. Please suggest.
Notices

Medium paced tour to Europe with elderly @ £20000. Please suggest.

Apr 25th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Medium paced tour to Europe with elderly @ £20000. Please suggest.

Planning on Europe and UK for 4 to 5 weeks in July,14. Please suggest some places keeping in mind the following:

1. Senior citizen parents, so nothing activity oriented like hiking would be possible. Light
walks are not a problem.
2. Comfortable access (i.e. in mountainous regions) to breathtaking scenery.
3. Easily available veg. food @ affordable prices
4. A typical French village stay for a few days. Heard a lot about it.
5. An uncrowded beach, picturesque ferry ride etc.
6. Affordable and tidy accommodation.
7. Wonderful time for my parents is top priority. Medium paced, pleasing to the eye tours
8. We have a budget of £20,000 for my parents and me.
Please suggest the places we MUST visit specially in Switzerland( considering the age factor) and the duration of stay.
Apr 25th, 2013, 03:48 AM

For Switzerland, Lauterbrunnen is stunning, easily accessible by train with easy access to Jungfrau & Schilthorn.

Zermatt is also fabulous with the mighty Matterhorn. Both have lots of great accommodation.
Apr 25th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Hi on_board,

you've come to the right place to get some great information about independent travel [as well as tours, by the looks of it!] so welcome!

Switzerland would indeed make an excellent place to spend some of your time, with both lakes and mountains being easily accessible.

A basic itinerary which might be the sort of thing you have in mind could be London -Paris [by eurostar] - Annecy - [not quite a french village but very charming] - Lake Luzern - Berneroberland - Venice.

All that could be accomplished by train thus avoiding those stressful airports and flights.

the only problem might be the affordable vegetarian food - ok in London, Paris, and Italy but not that easy to find in Switzerland which is notoriously expensive.

good luck!
Apr 25th, 2013, 04:15 AM

I second Annhig's suggested itinerary. Annecy is indeed beautiful. Florence is easily accessible from Venice by train.

I am vegetarian but had no trouble with menus in Lauterbrunnen. Not too costly.

Train travel would be ideal.

Search this Thread