Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Itinerary for First Timers! Please Advise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:45 PM
janine

OK-what do you think for this 15 day trip:<BR><BR>Fly from US to Rome<BR>Stay in Rome for 3 nights<BR><BR>Take Train from Rome to Florence<BR>Get rental car, drive to Tuscany<BR>Stay in Tuscany for 2 nights<BR>(also maybe 1 night Umbria?)<BR><BR>Then drive back to Florence<BR>Stay in Florence for 3-4 Nights<BR><BR>Take train from Florence to Cinque Terre<BR>Stay in Vernazza for 1 night<BR><BR>take train from Cinque Terre to Venice<BR>Stay in Venice for 2 Nights<BR><BR>go to Lake Garda for 2 nights (we're looking to end with a 'romantic peaceful retreat-if anyone has any other ideas on this part, please post)<BR><BR>Then go back to venice and fly out of Venice.....<BR><BR><BR>Any thoughts? We are very flexible on everything here......<BR><BR>Thanks!!!<BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:55 PM
ellen

FYI, Florence is in Tuscany. When you arrive there, you are already in Tuscany. Are you talking about staying in a hill town 2 nights? It sounds somewhat tiring to me, so many different places to overnight. I might stay longer in the Tuscan/Umbria countryside. It's a big area and there's lots to see.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Grasshopper

Doesn't sound bad to me. You have city and country stops nicely interspersed. My general rule of thumb is a one night stay is not so good. It doesn't give you a full day to enjoy place.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:24 PM
been there

You do not need an itinerary. In fact I have found that it is better not to have one because you meet so many people along the way and end up traveling to a location with them and have more fun. Just "wing it". Stay at hostels (where all the fun is) and meet up with people you like.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Sherri Kardell

Hi I hope I might be of some help I would do 1) Rome 3 days 2) then I would go to Naples ( but don't spend the night) take the hydrofoil to Capri and spend 2-3 days there it is alot more spactacular then the Cinque Terre. You can see Pompai and take the hydrfoil to Positano. You maybe able to fly from Naples to Florence there is a small airport there and sometimes it's not that much more$ if you plan ahead.3) then do Florece don't rent a car til you leave Florence. Driving is a nightmare there and there's nowhere to park. You will need about 3 days in Florence;Siena is a good day trip .Check out artviva.com for some ideas on easy day trips from Florence.Also check out karenbrown.com for hotel suggestions.I stayed at the La Torricella on the outskirts of Florence and loved it.4) if your time allowes you could end in Lake Como or Portofino.I have been to Italy many times if you need more info. email me.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Sherri Kardell

Hi it's me again sorry I forgot you wanted to go to Venice you can drive there or take the train from Florence it would be a very romantic ending to your trip ( see karenbrown's suggestion for the Hotel S. Staffano.) Keep in mind you will have to pay for parking your car unless you can dump it in Venice. La Dolce Italy!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Betsy

Hi Janine<BR><BR>You've posted a fairly well-thought-out itinerary. A couple of suggestions: I'd cut out Cinque Terre for this trip in favor of staying in the Tuscan/Umbria countryside another night or two. Turn in your car when you get back to Florence and take the train to Venice. From Venice, take the train to one of the lakes that's accessible by train and then fly out of Milan, not backtracking to Venice. <BR><BR>See Cinque Terre on your next trip. And there will be a next trip.... I did a trip similar to yours in five weeks and, in my opinion, you're trying to cover too much in 15 days.<BR><BR>Other Italophiles are sure to offer you good suggestions.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio