Medieval Towns and Mountain Hikes

May 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Medieval Towns and Mountain Hikes

We will be traveling from the Loire Valley to Arles the end of June and have 2 days for a midway stop. I'm partial to the Dordogne due to this site and other reading. The rest of my family, however, want to see a "cool" medieval town but would also like to have some time to hike for a few hours. Is there any town that would have medieval charm but would also allow us to drive to the Pyrennes for the day to hike? Or are there other mountains nearby we should consider?
Thank you for your help!
May 8th, 2004, 08:30 PM
cmt

There's good hiking in the Dordogne, but it's not extremely strenuous. Are you only interested in really difficult mountain hiking?
May 8th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

My two teenage children would like it to be strenuous but my husband and I aren't in their league. A hike that would have some ascent going through pretty terrain would do.
Thanks!
May 9th, 2004, 10:03 AM

If you could check out:The independent walker's guide to France(Frank Booth) and Walking in France(Lonely Planet), both have some good walks as your requires In Dordogne area.
May 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM

There are a number of medieval towns in Burgundy, some of which are close to the Morvan, a huge national park with good hiking. The area would be a good stopover on your way to Arles. Also on your way would be the Ardèche, which offers excellent hiking and kayaking, if that's of interest, along with more medieval towns.
May 9th, 2004, 01:47 PM

There's plenty of fairly strenuous hiking in the Dordogne. I think you can find some of the routes by checking the Grandes Randonnées website.

A nice little hike up to Domme or Beynac should wear everyone out quite nicely, especially if combined with a long stroll along the river.
May 16th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will look into them.

Search this Thread